10.6: Spellchecker issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Nermal, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hi,

I have my system language set to British English and I'm having some problems with the spellchecker. It's reporting words like "colour" as incorrect, and offering "colour" as a suggestion. Is this happening for anyone else?

2. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Check the Text part of Language & Text. You may need to properly setup the automatic-by-language spelling check for the proper languages in the proper order (i.e. British English above US English, or just disable US English entirely).

3. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Aha! Yes, under Text I had to change "Spelling" to British English. Way to complicate things, Apple...

Thanks for the help :)

Edit: I actually wonder whether it's a bug. If it defaults to use the system language for spellchecking, then it should respect that instead of using American. Is anyone able to replicate this issue?

4. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'm just resurrecting my own thread here...

The spellchecker language under the Text tab will "randomly" change itself back to US, instead of staying on British, resulting in "colour", "optimise" etc being listed as wrong. Has anyone else run into this issue?

... it even changed itself while I was typing this post! :eek:

Edit: I just found that you can choose "Setup" from the language list, which gives a list of all languages where you can rearrange and disable them. I've moved British to the top and disabled US. Let's see whether that works.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Seems to me that the other option would have been to select one and only one "version" of English. Would you be thanking Apple then if they didn't select the one you use?

Anyway, hope your new discovery makes the choice stick this time.

6. Nermal thread starter Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In 10.5 and earlier, the spellchecker respected the system-wide language setting, and you therefore didn't have to change it in two different places. That's what I meant by Apple overcomplicating things. I appreciate that there's now an option to have the OS language and spellchecker set differently, I was just confused at the time since the setting had become "hidden".

The settings have stuck so far :)

7. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I see. Maybe I didn't read carefully enough. Hope it continues to retain the setting for you...