10.6 update freezes during install

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by elzbellz, Dec 9, 2013.

1. elzbellz macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm trying to update my 10.5.8 Macbook to 10.6, I have the disk and have the system requirements (as far as I'm aware) to update it with but once I click install after agreeing to the terms and conditions it goes to the install page as expected but stays frozen on 'Time Remaining 45 minutes' and the bar doesn't load. I've tried a few times and left it over night as well to no difference. Any ideas on what I can do to help it along?

Any help would be much appreciated!

2. danyog1 macrumors newbie

3. WildCard^ macrumors regular

I suppose it could be the hard drive, but doesn't feel likely, as the OP would have been having problem with his 10.5 install.

I am thinking maybe there is some conflict with the upgrade function. You could wipe the HD clean and do a fresh install. I prefer to do full clean installs when possible. You then move your data back, install your wanted apps, and voila.

OP, would you have a problem doing a clean install vs upgrade? You'll need to back up any desired documents or files to external drive first.

-WC

4. elzbellz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

Hoping it's not the hard drive! My external hard drives have broken so once I'm able to I'll have a go at taking it all off and updating that way. Once it's all backed up what's the best way of wiping it clean? (I haven't had to do it before). Thanks in advance :)

5. WildCard^ macrumors regular

hey Elzbellz,

If you don't have huge amounts of data, just get yourself an 8 or 16GB USB flash drive, plug it in, format it, and save your data to it. I got a 16GB the other week for $13 and saw them even cheaper with the current sales.

Once you have the data saved, a full wipe is in order! You put the DVD in and boot from it. You will have the option to go into disk utility. From there, you delete the current partition. When done, you go into the main menu, install OSX. It will setup the drive and install what we call a clean install.

If you have problems installing then, well crud. I guess I would be looking at the DVD to see if it's scratched or dented.

Hope that helps, good luck!