10.6: what happened to my translucent menu bar?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by danray, Oct 18, 2009.

1. danray macrumors newbie

I just noticed that my menu bar is no longer transparent, as it was under Leopard (I upgraded to SL the week it came out, but I can't say for sure whether the menu bar was transparent immediately before that...).

What's weird is that the "Translucent menu bar" checkbox in System Preferences only toggles between flat gray and the slight gradient look — neither one shows any trace of the background underneath (I've tried it with several images, just to be sure). I wonder if I might have changed some default value in a .plist or something, and then forgot about it — has anyone else run into something like this?

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Enabling "Translucent menu bar" on my 10.6.1 system allows the background to show through.

S-

3. VS007 macrumors member

Works for me too.

4. danray thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't doubt it does. As I said in my original post, though, that doesn't work for me. I'm not saying I've found a bug or anything, I'm just asking for help figuring out why the expected behavior doesn't happen for me.

5. Bravecat macrumors newbie

I had same happen to me. fixed after i rebooted. hope that works for you.

6. sneezymarble macrumors 6502

If your menu bar is not translucent then it's very likely that Quartz Extreme is not working. In other words, there's a problem between Snow Leopard and your graphics card. I've heard that reboots can work (somebody already mentioned that that helped them), but you may need to do a bit more messing around.

7. cwik macrumors newbie

danray is right...

im running 10.6.3 anf my menubar is no longer translucent. ive checked everything there is to check and still nothing...i assume its my graphics card that ive been reading about here?

anyone? anyone at all?

thanks...appreciate any help....

8. cwik macrumors newbie

manubar issue...

what about 10.6.3? my menubar isnt translucent and ive tried everything....

guess its my graphics card?

9. cwik macrumors newbie

figure anything out?

ive got the same problem bro....im running 10.6.3 and my menubar is NOT translucent no matter what i do or check...
    if you figure it out lemme no...appreciate it brother

cwik

10. theTechnician macrumors member

same issues here, i'm running 10.6.3 and on my late 08 umbp the translucent menu bar doesnt appear at all, switching graphics cards from dedicated to integrated doesnt change a thing. my translucent menubar box is checked too. any fixes?

11. cwik macrumors newbie

translucent bar...

none yet bro...i even talked to apple and he said its basically an os thing...
    clould probably fix it via terminal but not exactly ez and kinda pain in the ass he said...he basically told me to live with it and that its not that bigga deal....sigh

whatever...if you find a fix...lemme no bro...thanks

12. Popfry macrumors newbie

It is working.

It's just not very translucent.

Tilt your screen backwards and look at it from an extreme angle when having a menu drop-down open, you'll see the windows underneath slightly.

(Assuming you don't have an IPS panel)

13. bishopazrael macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm on a unibody mbp and my menu bar isn't very translucent either. It makes me wonder why in the world apple doesn't make some sort of strides towards letting you make some customization tweeks. Seriously. Its 2010. They're still leaning on the old "if we let you change things it'll make your system unstable" line. Its aggrevating. When I switched from windows to mac back in 2003 my mac was the most stable computer I've ever used. Now I'm lucky if I go 6 months without having to wipe it and reload it.