10.7.1, is temperature still an issue?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iMikeT, Sep 3, 2011.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

I upgraded my 2011 iMac to 10.7.1 and it seems to be running better than compared to 10.7, so far.

One thing that I have been keeping on eye on is the hotter than usual temperatures that came with 10.7. With 10.7, the overall system's temperatures were well above what the norm would have been under 10.6.8. Hardware that was primarily affected were the GPU, the hard drive, and the power supply.

Under 10.7, the bug was that when ever the temperature for the GPU for example, got to a certain temperature, let's say 70° C, the temperature would hover around there and not cool down unless the system were given a restart or put to sleep for a couple of minutes. Now with 10.7.1, it seems that the GPU will reach 70° and cool down as expected without having to resort to putting the system to sleep or restarting, which is a very good thing. However, the overall system temperature is still running hotter than compared to 10.6.8.

Thoughts?

2. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

It looks like I spoke too soon.

Today was the first day that I truly used my iMac at full throttle and it seems that the bug where the GPU and system temperatures do not cool down after a load remains in 10.7.1, at least on my system.

From what I can tell, it seems that the temperatures do indeed cool down after viewing a Flash video for example, glad that issue has been fixed. However, it seems that running other loads raises the temperatures and prevents it from cooling down as expected. I noticed this while running iTunes and a Java applet. I quit both processes and was expecting the temps to drop but no dice.

It looks like I'm back to putting my Mac to sleep for a couple of minutes to clear out what ever is going on.

3. echo.park macrumors regular

echo.park

Temperature has never been an issue for me. Don't know what people are talking about.

4. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Try a
    SMC Reset
    and a
    NVRAM Reset

Newer (and older) versions of Mac OS X do not like old parameters in these locations.

If that does not help, you can try gfxCardStatus.

5. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

Tried, doesn't help.

Doesn't work for me as I am on an iMac/desktop, not a MacBook Pro.

----------

Thanks for your unhelpful comment, I've gotten a lot of use out of it.

6. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

Why are you worried about temperature using a desktop
    let it turn hot,
    You must see what a laptop does...its HOT and the fans are LOUD
    reach 72C is not nice on a laptop

7. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

You're absolutely right, I shouldn't have to worry about higher than usual temperatures even though 10.7 Lion shipped with this bug. Desktop, laptop, it doesn't matter. Further, it shouldn't matter because I do have Apple Care for my iMac and since Lion has this bug, Apple will just simply replace my iMac if the hardware dies due to heat issues. :rolleyes: