Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gspannu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
UK
Now that 10.7.1 is available directly from the Mac App Store.... does this update work on the 2011 MacBook Air?

The existing 10.7.0 version on App Store did not work and the only way to download a copy of Lion on the new 2011 MacBook Air was to start in Lion Recovery (Cmd-R) and then choose to download it?

Has this now changed with 10.7.1 - does this complete OS work directly on 2011 MacBook Air?

PS: I tried re-downloading 10.7.1 from App Store (by using the Option-Click) method but got an error saying that this version is incompatible; so wanted to check if anyone else had any luck?

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA
Why do you need to download it? 2011 Airs already have Lion. The update to 10.7.1 is in software update. :)apple:/Software Update...)

gspannu

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 30, 2011
UK
Why do you need to download it? 2011 Airs already have Lion. The update to 10.7.1 is in software update. :)apple:/Software Update...)

If I ever need to clean reinstall Lion, I would need to download the whole OSX from the Apple site through Lion Recovery.

I am trying to avoid this by creating a Flash drive for emergency use (for the future). The older version (10.7.0) downloaded from the App Store does not wok on the new MacBook Air; hence my question: Does the new version (10.7.1) downloaded from the App Store work on the new 2011 MacBook Air?

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
It won't. Apple didn't change InstallableMachines.plist.
You could try and mod it to include your air BoardId.

@gspannu: You can find your board-id via...
ioreg -lp IOService | grep board-id
...in a Terminal window.

However, i'm not sure that the board-id is the problem, because i can install Lion within VMware Fusion 3.1.3 without problems. The board-id within VMware Fusion 3.1.3 is:
"board-id" = <"440BX Desktop Reference Platform">

agentphish

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2004
none of the 2011 air's or mini's have install USB drives included with them.

I just addressed this same issue with my mini last night. If I were smart, I would have cloned the drive before I booted it up and set it up the first time, but I forgot to do it.

So last night I installed via lion internet recovery (took about 35-40 mins to DL and install the software) to an external partition. Once I knew it was installed and would boot to setup assistant, I restarted to my internal drive, cloned that partition to a .dmg with disk utility and now I have restore .dmg of a bare lion install that I can restore to my mini any time I wish.

Only way I can think to do it for now until Apple unifies all the builds of the OS. Right now MBA and Mini's from 2011 are running custom builds.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.