10.7.1 Time Machine backup issue?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by MisterDisney, Aug 16, 2011.

1. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I've been using the same external drive for Time Machine for a few weeks now. All without incident, always working perfectly etc. This afternoon, I updated to 10.7.1 and when the next scheduled backup time came, I got an error.

"Time Machine could not complete the backup.

Files can't be copied onto the backup disk because it appears to be read-only..."

And it suggests repairing/reformatting etc.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

3. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@sidewinder How has Lion worked on your Mac Pro? I have a MP and have waited to upgrade to Lion. Just wondering. Thanks.

4. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Mac OS X 10.7 (and now 10.7.1) has been awesome. But so was Snow Leopard from day 1. I have experienced no problems with 10.7 or 10.7.1. The only issue I had is that 10.7 was running in 32-bit mode on my system. So I used a utility to set it to boot in 64-bit mode.

When I decided to upgrade to 10.7, I purchased a Magic Trackpad so I can use gestures. I am using "natural" scrolling and have no issues with the new features. I find Mission Control to be quite useable and I am getting along fine with Launchpad. I am not as proficient with the track pad as I was with a mouse, but the gestures work so well so I am willing to deal with the learning curve.

S-

5. canadianpj macrumors 6502

I have a 2008 Mac Pro and have had no problems really. There's the odd wheel for a moment or two where there was not before. But that is about all, otherwise all my programs, printer, etc seem to be working just fine.

Not had 10.7.1 long enough to really know what it changes if anything for me.

6. MisterDisney thread starter macrumors 6502a

Unplugging it and plugging it back in seems to have sorted it. I always overlook the simplest solution..

7. canadianpj macrumors 6502

Good to hear! The old "reboot" solution wins again. If the general public ever catches on to this there wouldn't be such a need for tech support. :)

8. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

@sidewinder What was the 32-bit mode doing that was an issue or was it just that you wanted to run in 64-bit mode?

My Mac Pro is also a 2008 with 10GB of Memory. I've had no odd/multiple partitions on my system - just a straight install of SL at that time and the usual install of Apps and some usual deleting of Apps (with AppZapper). I don't do anything out of the ordinary on a day to day basis; sort of a vanilla, non-exciting existence in the OS X ecosystem. Geek Tool is probably my only exploration in doing something "exciting" on my Mac. Hearing about other users with their Mac Pros similar to mine - having no serious issues it seems - makes upgrading to Lion sooner than later much more tempting. The "horror stories" on these forums has made me quite gun shy about upgrading and making me think I should even wait to the .3 release.

@canadianpj and @sidewinder, thanks for your input regarding Lion. It makes me think seriously about upgrading sometime over the next day or two.

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

jeffreyk,

32-bit mode was not an issue per se. I just hadn't bothered to think about 32-bit versus 64-bit mode until I upgraded to 10.7. The only difference I think I see after switching to 64-bit mode is slight improvement in system response. But, I am not convinced it is real. The good news is that every thing is working great.

By the way, I did not do a clean install. Nor did I do a clean install when I upgraded to 10.6 from 10.5. I never had any issues with 10.6 either.

S-

10. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

One more question @sidewinder, how could you tell that your system was in 32-bit mode and not 64-bit. Is there a drop down menu to determine this (or any other way). Thanks.

11. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

12. jeffreyk macrumors regular

jeffreyk

Very nice; cool link. Thanks. I'll check it out in greater detail when I get to my desk later today.