Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by pcomac, Jul 23, 2011.

1. pcomac macrumors regular

so i have a almost new 2011 MBP and i have about a little more than 3 weeks to get a free lion. the only reason i want to go to lion is because of the supposedly amazing security upgrades they did. but i read from this site and others that there are a lot of bugs in lion which will probably be fix hopefully soon. when do you think the lion 10.7.1 will be released?

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

3. rxl125 macrumors regular

I hope soon... search wifi and lion and you will see Major drop out problems...

4. seong macrumors 65816

seong

Just get Lion when you can. People complaining here are whiners, no joke and no offense. They say it's buggy. Of course it is! Still, way better than DP1 or 2. Don't rely on whether to download Lion or not on this forum. Most of the people who post here are asking for help from the trouble they face when using Lion. Try it yourself. If you don't like it, make a bootable USB out of the downloaded file from App Store, and downgrade to Snow Leopard. When you think it's stable, start upgrading to Lion.
    BTW, to answer your specific question, no one really knows. Only Steve Jobs and couple of software dev. team knows :) Once the 10.7.1 is released to the developers, then expect it to roll out to public in less than few weeks of time.

5. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

What you should do, if you aren't ready to do the lion install is get your voucher for it, DOWNLOAD it, but don't install it until you want to! No sense in losing your free copy because there was no 10.7.1 out!

6. Aldaris macrumors 65816

Aldaris

There really isn't a reason to wait. For the most part it is incredibly stable. I have experienced the Wi-Fi dropouts, but it's more than livable. Of course the .x updates will polish more and more as the life of this OS goes.

7. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I wonder which way it will take ...

1) Software Upgrade as before
    2) via App Store

I guess 2nd one ...

8. pcomac thread starter macrumors regular

what do you mean download it but not install it? how much memory does it take? if i download it into a usb drive, will it work the same?

9. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I downloaded it once and installed on three macs ... easier this way and helps other to use the bandwidth.

File was around 3.7 GB ... just copied it to the other Macs and started from there. Put it on a USB stick; put it on a disk; wherever you keep your data.

Just copy it back to Application-Folder where you found it first ...

10. marsmissions macrumors 6502

marsmissions

The app downloads from the app store and implants itself on your dock. you do not have to install it at that point, you can leave it there until you feel like installing it, and you won't waste your free copy.

11. Justinf79 macrumors 6502

Justinf79

I'm hoping 10.7.1 gets rolled into the copy of Lion in the app store, so when I decide to get it, it'll already be up to date. :)

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Both.

Lion will be sold on a USB thumb drive and there are countries around the world with Apple resellers but no App Store. These people would be able to buy a copy of Lion but wouldn't have access to the App Store for updates so Apple, like they do now with iLife and iWork and all their once-boxed software, should provide the updates as usual through Software Update.

13. 50548 Guest

Actually it has been reported that OS X updates will ONLY show up under Software Update, not the App Store...

14. The pSYION macrumors newbie

Just to back up what everyone else is saying. Get your free copy now and save it for later! I am using Lion at the moment and while its pretty stable i had to put a lot of work and time in to get it this way... I did lose a few days of work because of it... If your a personal user id say its fine to install but if you actually rely on your computer for your bread and butter i would stay away. especially if your not a power user..

In the meantime i would just keep checking here. Everyone posts what going wrong for them and then you get to see how easy it was to fix! :) Good Luck

15. d0ster macrumors regular

At this point you can also go into your Applications folder and drag the install to a USB stick, thats what I did.

16. JonLa macrumors 6502

Once it was in my dock waiting for me, I right-clicked the icon, chose "show in finder" then copied the entire 3 gb dmg to my external drive. Dead easy. Do it. It's free and at some point you'll want to try Lion.

I really like it - there are irritations but I've kept my smart-folder of Applications in the dock instead of Launchpad, and i like the multiple-desktops with assigned apps for three-finger swiping between them (like the full-screen apps). There's a couple of things that seem quirky but I'm sure they'll be fixed.

17. basher macrumors 6502

basher

Not soon enough.

Seriously it will be seeded to developers before the general public gets it. Also, it seems Apple is focusing really hard on iCloud and iOS 5. With that I think it might be a while.

The only big showstopper bug that comes to mind is iMac users that are experiencing freezes when playing Flash videos.

18. admanimal macrumors 68040

Actually, it's all videos, not just flash.

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I can say I have had exactly 0 wifi problems.

20. realmike15 macrumors member

My biggest gripe right now is with Lion's handling of Memory. There's seem to be a wide array of problems affecting Safari, Mail, and other apps. For me, it's Safari... which is slowly consuming all RAM until nothing is left. At that point it usually starts PFing and gets painfully slow. Usually restarting Safari is the only way to Free up some RAM, and then performance goes back to normal.

On the plus side:

The apps that support Full Screen are great.
    The Mail update is nice.
    The new gestures feel good once you get used to them.

It's a gamble, you'll probably find things you don't like just as I did. Like not being able to delete icons from the Launchpad, or how every time I opened the App Store I get spinning beach balls galore. But most of these problems should be addressed in future updates.

You can always download the installer now, but wait to install it until you feel like the major issues have been resolved.

21. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

The only difference between the Snow Leopard bugs and the Lion bugs is that you're already used to the Snow Leopard bugs :)

Regardless, for me, Lion has been more about adapting to change than dealing with "bugs". The only real annoyance at the moment is that Carbonite hasn't updated their product yet and I'm relying solely on Time Machine back-ups for another week or two (granted, they did warn me, but after a week of testing on my MBA, I had forgotten and didn't realize it until after the upgrade of my iMac was complete :eek:).

22. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Not this iMac user.

23. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

Broad, incorrect generalization. I never had sleep wake issues with SL and neither did my sound stop working. Oh and my USB devices also worked. And all of these are known to Apple - meaning I an not the one guy having these issues with Lion.

It's all down hill from here I suspect until we get simplistic iOS running Macs that don't do nearly enough to have outrageous bugs.

24. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Neither is it this Macbook Pro user, which is why some people
    should generalize too much as it does not have to affect every machine.

And idk whats up with Users give a negative feedback towards this question:
    as it is completely plausible and normal albeit it might have been asked before.

It is a 3.7 GB download, and you should download the Lion file (from the Mac App Store) and put it onto a USB stick and when the time comes of the release of 10.7.1 (which should be pretty soon) than you can just install Lion 10.7.0 from a USB stick and than update it to 10.7.1.

Instructions for Putting Lion onto a USB stick is:

Here's what we will do:
    Quote from http://www.geohot.us/2011/07/boot-os-x-lion-from-usb-flash-drive.html