10.7 & 10.8 VNC from windows clients

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by fisty, Apr 12, 2013.

1. fisty macrumors member

Hello,

i work in the support department and we mixed environments!
    We have loads of macbook pros running either 10.7 and 10.8 os x!

We work on windows machines and to connect to a osx via VNC its a nightmare, meaning that we would need the actual users login information to get into their session, apart from the VNC password that is set on the machines!

Is there a way for us by using a windows vnc client, to connect to the machine and the user gets a popup being asked if they want to let us in their session??Or just using the VNC password set?

for windows machines we use smshost and a programm called RC!

maybe there is an equivelent of smshost for os x machines so we could use RC also on os x machines?

any help with this would apreciated!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

OSX has screen sharing built in, and for the business needs apple provides Apple Remote Desktop For other remote access you can look at team viewer and gotomypc.

3. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Think you have to live with it.

This is the way OS X is build and why it is so secure, I remote control my Mini from a Powerbook, without setting the Remote Management on the Mini to on and the users password and name you can't get into the Mac, actually the User of that Mac can assign other Users to access the Mac but this has to be done beforehand and on the remote Mac.

4. fisty thread starter macrumors member

I've found remotix which gives you the ability to select the authentification type at the moment of connection!
    so that no username and psw are required, the user gets a pop up for accepting the connection!
    the only thing I'm unable to find is how to get other clients to make this type of authentification'
    I sniffed my own packets and there I could find that the vnc server of OS X has 4-5 option to authenticate which gives you the ability to choose between the option, nor realVnv nor other free client give these options!

any idea how to find out how input a script into other client vnc clients to choose those authentication instead of using username and psw!?

cuz this method of remotix is exactly why I'm looking for, well for a price... just trying to figure out if its possible in other clients!

5. technowar macrumors 6502

6. fisty thread starter macrumors member

I don't seem to find jump desktop for win!?
    it's a mobile platform app only I believe no!?