10.7.2 bug or is my VC dying?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by The JTizzle, Oct 20, 2011.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Been getting this distortion ever since 10.7.2 was released. The distortion happens after the machine has been sitting, and usually has had the screen saver running. As soon as I swap desktops or open and app it goes away. Anyone else getting this or am I making a trip to the Apple store in the near future for a new video card?

Attached Files:

2. johnjay1776 macrumors member

It's got to be a bug. The photo you posted was the very reason I went looking into the iMac forums today. Mine is doing the exact same thing with 10.7.2. It actually started with the previous version of Lion but happened only rarely. I see this all the time now with 10.7.2 and it seems like it's getting worse. Either you and I have the same hardware failure at the same time or it's a bug. I'm betting bug.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It'll be a bug; if it was a hardware issue then it wouldn't appear in the screenshot.

4. wilfried macrumors member

I gotta say though, it looks kinda cool. Might make an interesting wallpaper. :)

5. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Came home to it today and had it pretty bad on screen and was also locked up and had to hard reboot. Hope it's fixed soon.

6. johnjay1776 macrumors member

I have a Seagate 2Tb external hard drive that I've been using for Time Machine backups. It's connected via. USB to the iMac. On a hunch, I unplugged it at the beginning of this week and I've not had the issue come up again.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else if they can reproduce this? Thanks.

7. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I thought that was the wallpaper. I was going to ask where the OP where they found that. :)

8. clingfreeze macrumors newbie

10.7.2 bug. Definitly.

Yupp. I have similar problems on a Mac Mini 2010.

Flickering pinstripes across the screen. Really annoying. It also slows down the startup of the computer when a USB-HD is connected (2.5" Seagate or 2.5" WD).

Doesn't happen in Snow Leopard, I tested it.

When the external HD isn't connected at startup, there's no problem with 10.7.2.

It seems to be a sloppy implementation of the USB-Drivers and the Graphics-Drivers (32bit -> 64bit problems?) to cause that bug.

9. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I also has a FireWire external. I'm going to unplug it and see if it goes away tonight.

10. johnjay1776 macrumors member

I've had my external drive unplugged for over a week and the problem described above didn't occur a single time. It's obviously related to USB drivers somehow. I hope they fix it soon.

11. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Well, I stand corrected. It's not necessarily related to USB. I now suspect iTunes is the culprit because I no longer have this problem when iTunes isn't started. When iTunes is left running for any length of time, it takes a POWER OFF to clear the issue. Not just a simple reboot.

Is anyone else experiencing the same behavior? Should I try reloading iTunes? Is it possible to separate iTunes from OS/X Lion to the extent that I COULD try a fresh load of iTunes? I HAVE already tried booting from the recovery partition and reinstalling Lion but that didn't appear to solve the problem. It looks like taking that action puts a fresh copy of the OS in place but doesn't touch application/user file systems?

12. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I think i've been noticing the same, I'm going to be testing it this week. I have had a long ongoing chat with apple about it and am trying to get it solved for 10.7.3 with a few of their devs.

13. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Any news on this front? I am beginning to wonder anew if this isn't a hardware issue after all.

14. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I've submitted and tested several things for the Devs. They haven't let me know wither way yet. I will say I have spent a fair amount of time in windows over the last month on my iMac and have not seen this issue appear once, so pretty solid that its a software bug on the Mac side. I might snag the Dev build of 10.7.3 over the weekend and check it out to see if it's fixed for yah.

15. johnjay1776 macrumors member

That would be great. Let me know what you find out. I'll be relieved if it's a software related issue. I'd hate to cart this thing into our Apple store. Apple should hire you. :)

16. Spinnetti macrumors regular

I thought that was art!

I get a different one. Not on my 27", only on my 21.5" - when it sleeps or whatever (same triggers looks like), the screen stays black when I wake it. If you move the mouse, it reveals the screen one 1/4" block at a time wherever the mouse pointer goes..... (this is at the user login screen).... Maybe not same problem?

17. gnurf macrumors member

gnurf

Seems like something different, but yet another symptom I see makes me think the display drivers or Quartz itself needs some looking at in Lion. The one I see is that the background image on the desktop will sometimes get garbled for a moment as I drag and drop a file from a different window to the desktop.

18. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

I've been getting something similar since 10.7.0 and sometimes shutting my screen off then back on fixes it, other times it will completely freeze my entire system. Lion has been one big bag of turds for me so far.

19. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Yeah, you know, Lion has pretty much sucked. I should have stuck with Snow Leopard. There are some nice features in it but a lot of it is a huge step backwards in several areas.

----------

Any luck in getting the latest build tested? I hope Apple releases a fix soon.

20. johnjay1776 macrumors member

So, is anyone else having this issue with their iMac? This mid-2010 27" iMac is giving me fits with these screen issues. I'm going to try and include a screen shot of the garbage iTunes threw at me today after I tried to fire it up. Whenever this happens, the only thing that will clear the issue for any length of time is a power cycle.

I've done the comand-option-r-p bit and it does absolutely nothing. After the power cycle, I'm good for about maybe a couple of hours as long as I don't fire up any window-intensive application. As soon as I do that, instant corruption.

I'm dragging my feet on hauling this beast into the Apple Store because of it's size but I'm beginning to suspect hardware as the issue. Anyone else having this problem? I was hoping a fix would be distributed for the issue but I haven't seen or heard of any Lion updates coming any time soon. Thanks.

Attached Files:

21. johnjay1776 macrumors member

Well, I was hoping the 10.7.3 fix would do it for me. It may have fixed it for some but I still have these graphics issue. In case anyone else on the 'net stumbles upon this post and has the same issue, know that I'm chalking it up to hardware.

I don't have AppleCare for this 2010 27" iMac (live and learn) so I am going to have to make the choice between a new 27" iMac (with AppleCare) and getting this one fixed.

I hesitate to get this one fixed because I'd hate to pay the money to have the graphics unit replaced, find out it's not the graphics unit, then get the logic board replaced only to have it work for a while and start doing the same thing again. Haven't decided yet.

22. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

I get this with Chrome very often! I have deleted, reinstalled and updated Chrome to no avail.. Lion is starting to bother me..

23. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

For about 24 hours the issue seemed fixed and now it has returned and brought its buddy kernel panic with it. I have already submitted bug reports with logs and screen shots to my contact at apple and suggest you guys do the same so they can see how common this is.

24. johnjay1776 macrumors member

JTizzle,

I have an i7 like you. I wonder if the problem is restricted to i7's?

----------

You have an i7?

25. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

I'm on the phone with apple atm, ill let yah know what i find out,