10.7.2, kernel panic and kernel mismatch error

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by cluthz, Oct 30, 2011.

1. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I've been holding out on updating to 10.7.2 for a two weeks now since many people claim they have problems with slow os expose and mission control.

Today I decided i'll give it a try and my MBA downloads the files, installs and machine reboots to kernel panic.

Tried a few restarts, also in single user mode, everything ends up with kernel panic.

Did a disk check and permission repair from recovery partition, still no help.

Now reinstalling Lion over internet says its gonna take 55 hours!

55 hours :(

I'm on a 6 mbit connection and 4-5GB should take like 2 hrs..

2. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

Been on for 3 hours soon and almost halfway, so it ain't that bad..

I was hoping I could download Lion from Appstore on my other machine, but no.
    I have to buy it even tho I have it on same apple account. I still run 10.6.8 on that machine and I do not plan to upgrade to Lion in the near future either, so that option goes out of the drain..

I really have to get a better solution than this, because if I have to put the machine away for a whole work day because a system update renders my machine useless. I couldn't even get to the files.

Luckily I didn't do it before I went away (just came home today after being away for a few days)

3. cluthz thread starter macrumors 68040

cluthz

The recovery didn't work.
    So I called apple, after being on the phone with a very nice, but not very computer savvy lady, I finally was allowed to talk with one of the experts.
    He was also a very nice guy, but wasn't much help either as he had no understanding about how kernel and kernel extensions worked.
    After 15 minutes I asked him if it was ok that I removed the kexts mentioned in the kernel panic and apple would not blame me if it didn't work. Luckily he said that was ok.

The fix was very easy, I just used terminal from the recovery partition, took a backup of the sleepenabler.kext and then deleted it.

Now machine boots, and I guess i'll have to back up my users and then reinstall lion again, or maybe i'll just extract the kext from the lion combo update.