10.7.2, Mail.app and Exchange

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by nOw2, Oct 19, 2011.

1. nOw2, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2011

nOw2 macrumors regular

In Snow Leopard I had terrible problems with Exchange integration (against both an internal 2007 server and Microsoft BPOS).

Problems were:
    • Mail.app stops checking for new email silently after waking the computer.
    • Messages would arrive but the body would be blank.
    • -> Rebuild the mailbox or restart Mail.app and the email would appear in full.
    • Older messages would occasionally and at random appear completely blank (just a horizontal line between where the header and body should be).
    • Sending an email fails, so I click to retry, but the recipient receives both copies.
    These problems stopped completed in 10.7.0 and 10.7.1, i.e. Lion fixed Mail.app for me!

After installing 10.7.2 the problems are back. Does anyone else see this or is it co-incidence?

I held off upgrading to 10.7.2 until yesterday and everything was fine until then, so there does appear to be direct causation.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not going to be much help here I'm afraid as I've had very few issues with Mail.app and Exchange 2007 in either Snow Leopard or Lion (running 10.7.2 here now on 5 machines as part of our corporate network). The only problem I get (and it's gotten a lot rarer in Lion) is attachments occasionally not showing up on an incoming message.

3. nOw2 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it became a bit of joke yesterday so I tried removing and re-adding the accounts but with no effect.

Then I removed ~/Library/Mail and ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.mail/Cache.db, then restarted the "as new" Mail and recreated all my accounts and settings from scratch.

So far, so good. It's working perfectly just as it did in 10.7.0 & .1.
    Looks like it was something corrupt in my install.

Even though it was quite a drastic measure, I'm happy again :)

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

What kind of testing and product control does Apple use?

Another release that causes problems. I am still on Lion 10.7 not willing to risk my machine on a bad upgrade.

5. nOw2 thread starter macrumors regular

As I noted, it turned out not to be Mail.app but my data. I can't be sure what was the root cause of the problem. It could well have been a bug somewhere in Mail.app but equally something else.

Let's be thankful we're not using .pst files... I have woken up in the early morning having .pst nightmares.