10.7.2 temperature issues?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by iMikeT, Oct 13, 2011.

1. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Is anyone experiencing temperature issues with 10.7.2 as was first encountered with 10.7 or has the bug been fixed?

This issue was prevalent with 2011 iMacs with AMD Radeon 6xxxM cards.

2. hiohokaybye macrumors regular

YES! Absolutely. I thought I was just crazy but I've noticed that my MBP (March, 2011) with AMD Radeon 6750M has been getting a lot hotter after the update :(

3. Skoopman macrumors 6502

My Mac Mini has the same temperatures if not it's a bit cooler and also a lot quieter. At idle somewhere around 50 C and in use 52-54 C.

4. f00f macrumors 65816

YES!

Was just about to start a thread. My 2011 13" MBA is running much hotter without any CPU load whatsoever. The CPU is consistently at 160F or higher, and fan speeds average 3500RPM. On 10.7.1 fan speeds averaged about 2000 and CPU temps 130-140ish.

:(

5. AGEC2008 macrumors member

6. TheJing macrumors 6502a

TheJing

My Macbook Pro 13" is running a lot cooler since the upgrade two days ago.

7. UKBeast macrumors 6502

8. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

my fans are on A LOT, never this bad in any previous OS (at least, since 10.5 on this mac).

ugh.

9. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

It would seem that the temperature issue gets fixed in one thing but becomes a problem in another.

I was having temperature issues on my iMac when I installed 10.7 and and updated to 10.7.1 but it seems to have been resolved with 10.7.2 for now. The issue was when my iMac's GPU reached a certain temperature, say 70° C with a load for example, when I finished the task, instead of cooling down to a normal operating temperature of around 52° C, it would stay at 70° until I put the computer to sleep or restarted. Though, I have only been running 10.7.2 for less than 24 hours and have yet to put my iMac under its normal operating conditions. I'll definitely find out if this has truly been resolved in time.

Though, even with the temperatures coming back down as expected, I have noticed that my iMac's fans are running slightly faster. It's only around 20-50rpm faster and not so fast that I need to be concerned about it but it's just something I noticed. I'm not sure if this is one way Apple is solving the issue or a bug. Either way, it's running faster.

10. UKBeast macrumors 6502

i think lion is becoming os x vista, i was expecting to see more work on fixing bugs with updates but apple is too busy to integrate iCloud to mac os x to make iOS 5 the leader in market. I do understand his concern about it but it is annoying when you still have lots of bugs and temperature issues with your mac os x. Having a silent and cool computer was one of the main reasons why i converted myself to a mac user from pc.

Now apple is focusing on iPhone, iPod, iPad, iOS , iF*CK and ignoring we mac os x users.

11. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

As much as I love using Apple products, it wouldn't be right for me to blindly defend them. I agree, Apple does need to step it up with fixing and addressing issues many Lion users are encountering. Is Lion becoming Vista? Lion was far more stable out of the gate compared to Vista. It has its issues yes, but it's nowhere near the train wreck Vista was.

You must keep in mind the inner workings at Apple. Apple doesn't operate like other software companies where they have teams scattered all over the place and one not knowing what the other is doing. They have a tighter group of people who are focused on finishing a specific issue before addressing another issue.

Personally, I'm fine with Apple releasing a x.x.1 patch that addresses as many issues as possible rather than a weekly x.x.1.xxx patch so long as they actually fix issues and enhance the user experience. If it means shifting the focus from one thing to another, so be it.

12. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

went from 10.6.8 to 10.7.2 yesterday and no change in temps on a uMB.

13. jonod85 macrumors newbie

2009 13" MBP C2D seems to be running hot under low loads

My 2009 13" MBP C2D seems to be running warmer than usual under low CPU loads. Only thing I can think of is that the Wireless is heating up? Safari speeds seems to be boosted & Safari in general is running a little better (So far) - It seems to be hogging less RAM.

I can't confirm this however as I don't have any temperature reports to compare.

14. iMikeT thread starter macrumors 68020

It looks like I spoke too soon about the temperature not affecting my iMac.

I ran my normal load on my iMac today and recently quit apps that were taking up the most resources and my GPU temperature is hovering around 70° C and staying there. It's been about 15 minutes since I quit those apps and the temperature hasn't gone down by even one degree. The only way to remedy this is to put the iMac to sleep or restart it, which I really shouldn't have to do.

Looks like this issue is going back to Apple as bug report.