10.7.3 doesn't sync Mobile Documents

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by unobtainium, Feb 4, 2012.

1. unobtainium macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

There used to be an easy and efficient Dropbox alternative built into iCloud and OS X Lion. Of course Apple never intended it to be used this way, but if you opened your Library folder you'd find a folder called Mobile Documents. In it you would find folders associated with each of your iOS apps that have Documents in the Cloud enabled (iWork, Goodreader, etc.)

The trick was that you could drag and drop files into these folders, keeping things in sync across all your Macs and all your iOS devices at the same time! It was brilliant while it worked, but I noticed that after 10.7.3, changes to the Mobile Documents folder no longer get reflected on iDevices, and vice versa. The syncing no longer seems to work. That being said, iCloud still seems to be keeping everything in sync across my iDevices - but the Mobile Documets folder on my Mac is sadly left out.

I know this workaround was never endorsed by Apple, but I'm curious as to how 10.7.3 might have "broken" it. Also, I'm wondering if it's still working for anyone else.

2. cibi3d macrumors newbie

cibi3d

Not for me: iMac Late 2010 with 10.7.3 and MacBook Air middle 2011 with 10.7.3, none of them are syncing. I may suppose that now it is necessary an explicit call to an API method to perform the synchronization.

3. BanterClaus macrumors regular

BanterClaus

Apple were clearly playing around with something here. I thought this would be a fully fledged new feature in 10.7.3. Lets hope its in 10.7.4 although I think id still stick with my dropbox anyway...

4. atomsnine macrumors newbie

iWork Document Sync

It will be here in 10.8 - http://goo.gl/WQE3K

Anyone check out the 10.8 dev preview yet? It may be in there.