10.7.3 Fiasco

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by windowstomac, Mar 22, 2012.

1. windowstomac macrumors regular

I was put off updating to 10.7.3 because I heard of many people ended up with a badly broken OS. Now the dust has settled I know I can't leave it forever.

My software update is showing MAC OS Update Combined 10.7.3 - will this have updated to a fixed one or could it be the one that may break my Mac, given that it downloaded ages ago and I've just been saying "not now."

What should I do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. windowstomac thread starter macrumors regular

So, just to clarify, the one on my list "MAC OS Update Combined 10.7.3" is NOT the same as the combo update? I should download the other one instead?

Many Thanks

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure, it may be the same, compare the file sizes. For combo updates, I always use the direct link and not use software update, so I don't want to speak out of turn.

5. guneves macrumors newbie

no problems here

I have "upgraded" from SnowLeopard just last week. I like some stuff and miss some other stuff but I can't complain about problems. I made a CLEAN install from USB and then applied all updates from the regular Software Update. I am using a Late 2008 Macbook 13" Unibody upgraded with 8GB RAM and a 240GB SSD.

I know there is a major difference if you made a clean install or upgraded from SnowLeopard. I had to install quite a lot of stuff manually because of that (things that come with SL but do not come with Lion). I am not sure how that works if you bought a computer already with Lion.

In general I update my OSX systems as soon as something comes up and never had problems, quite the opposite. Always used Software Update (never used external download link).

Now I am still unsure if I am keeping Lion or going back to SL (some stuff on Lion sounds like downgrade to me). But that is another topic :)

With the SSD and 8GB RAM my "old" Mac is rather fast and responsive, really no real problems detected so far.

my 2c... Cheers!

6. sufjankasher macrumors newbie

You can definitely install the combo update appearing in Software Update.

The package with issues was the Delta update, recognizable as much smaller in size, as it carried only new and edited files (as opposed to the combo). It has been since then removed, so you couldn't install it even you wanted to.

7. astrorider macrumors 6502

Combo is the same as combined. You can now use the Software Update version. The problem was with the original non-combo updater that Apple pulled from Software Update.

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you can tell my the file size if its 1.3GB(i think thats what it was) its the Combo(Safe) one, if its only 700MB or so its the updater and the one causing the issues you read about.

9. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Stupid question, but if I have a Time machine back up, can I restore my entire computer from it? Or is it only used to recover deleted files etc? Mac newbie here.

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

You can restore documents and apps but not the operating system

11. deepakvrao macrumors regular

So, what did one of the previous posters mean by saying 'To be prudent, though be sure you have a current back up of your system.'?

How would I do that?

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

Carbon Copy Cloner is what i use instead of TM it clones the entire hard drive including OSX that way if my internal hard drive dies i can boot right off the external and i wouldnt notice any difference, than you can replace the internal and use Carbon Copy Cloner to resotre from the external to then new internal.

Super Duper is another program that works like Carbon Copy Cloner, not sure why Time Machine ignores this feature i guess apple figures if you replace your internal you can just re-install OSX with a DVD/USB or internet recovery than once OSX is installed you could use TimeMachine to backup everything else, although most will tell you TimeMachine restores are painfully slow

recently i had to restore my hard drive from a Carbon Copy Clone and it took about 2 hours to do 400GB

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You should always have a backup, especially when updating your system. You never know what could go wrong.

OSX comes with a very good back up, called Time Machine, there's also (for free) an app called Carbon Copy Cloner. In both cases you'll need an external drive to back your data up. In this day and age, its a must to ensure you have your system backed up.

14. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Okay - thanks guys.

I have used CCC to shift my TM backups from a 160gb HDD to a partition on a 1TB HDD, so I know how that works.

Guess I need another drive then.

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what do you mean shift my TM backups?

did you install make sure that partition on the 1TB was GUID and OSX Journeled? did you test you could boot off the external?

16. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Newbie to Mac. Got an Air in Nov 2011, and was using a 160gb old HDD for TM.

Got a 1TB, and partitioned it into 300/700GB. Using the 300 for TM, and I used CCC to clone my 160gb drive so that I had me earlier back ups too. Not necessary, but it helped me learn about CCC.

Yes, it is Mac OS Journeled.

Should I be able to boot off a TM HDD?

17. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

no not off a TM HDD, thats why I suggested CCC it clones the drive different

plug you external in and go to utilties, disk utlity and click you external in the left panel, than click the partiton tab and than options at the bottom of the partition layout and see if its set to GUID, if it is thats good

now launch CCC from the source choose your internal hard drive and for the target choose your partition on the external HDD, once CCC says clone complete, shut down your macbook air

power it back on and when you hear the chime sound hold the option key you should if its done right see a choice of what to boot off, one of them should be the name of the partition you have on your external with the CCC clone, choose it and if OSX boots test opening some apps and documents to test the clone was successful. if it is restart your mac and you should than be back on the internal drive

18. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Thanks.

Question is my 1Tb HDD has 2 partitions 300 and 700. 300 is for TM and I have about 200GB data on the 700.

Can i *now* create a third partition without formatting and losing data? I will need a separate partition for a CCC copy of my Air HDD right?

19. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

im not sure ive always setup my harddrives from the start and never modify partitions or formats while stuff is still on them

20. deepakvrao macrumors regular

I found this on the Apple website. Seems like you can restore your entire OS also with TM?

21. minik macrumors 65816

The current build of OS X 10.7.3 is 11D50d vs 11D50 on the first day of release. However, Apple didn't provide any detail.

22. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

interesting but you can't boot from an external with a TM backup you need the external to be a clone with CCC or SuperDupper to actually boot off it

23. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Did the upgrade and everything seems fine.

Still sometimes get the message:

Wi-Fi is connected to deepakvrao and has the self appointed IP address 192.168.etc,

and I can't connect to the internet. Renew DHCP lease, or disconnect nd reconnect works. I have 2 wifi networks at home, and this hapens only on one. Maybe a router issue?

24. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

That sounds like a networking issue with your setup as a 192 ip address is the reserved range for a private network. The self appointed addresses that wifi assigns when it can't connect are never in that range, so you are being assigned the range by your dhcp server, which leads me to believe it is a network issue. Are your 2 networks on different subnets?

25. deepakvrao macrumors regular

Don't know what a subnet is but will google and see. Should two networks be on separate subnets? How would I do that?