10.7.3 Kills my WiFi

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by kahornshoej, Feb 3, 2012.

1. kahornshoej macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm in big trouble.

Ive got three macs and have installed 10.7.3 on two of them. Those two can't connect to the internet anymore.
    I have a TC 3. generation and have just updated it with the latest firmware.
    On the third mac running 10.7.2 i have updated the Airport Utility and it finds my TC just fine. When i search for my TC on the other two machines AP finds nothing.
    My best guess is that 10.7.3 is the problem?
    I have tried updating with the combo update but no luck.
    I can't access my time machine backups so i can't roll back to 10.7.2

Do you have any suggestions?

NB This is the worst error i have ever had on any computer system. Windows have never killed my internet connection by an update. Apple this is just not good enough. :mad:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Try the basics first:

Reboot your Modem.

Reboot your TC (power it off and wait 2 minutes, then re plug)

Shut down all your Macs

Reboot modem and TC, then try your macs again...I updated 3 without issues, iMac MBP MBA running Lion with the latest updates.

3. kahornshoej thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply but it didn't work :(

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

5. BashStreetYouth macrumors member

10.7.3 didn't kill my wifi completely but now it never reconnects after waking from sleep. I have to manually turn off wifi and back on. Never had this problem before and ironically the only blurb i read about this update was how it fixed wifi problems...

6. kahornshoej thread starter macrumors newbie

Still no luck.

The two troubled macs have connection to the WiFi but no internet connection.
    I can't see the TC´s data disk from finder and nor will Airport Utility find my Time Capsule...
    Everything is working on the mac running 10.7.2 with the latest Airport Utility upgrade. I can also access the TC from AU on my iPhone without problems...

What to do?

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The only ideas I have left would require re-installation of your OSX. If you have the original media. It's a pain, but you can ease the process by making a bootable (USB) disk...Instructions here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/08/apple-releases-utility-to-create-lion-recovery-usb-key/

But if they won't go online then, you will be in trouble, and I would suspect a faulty TC....Will they connect via ethernet cable?

8. Bridger macrumors newbie

You say that the Macs have connection to the WiFi but no internet access - are they connecting to the WiFi basestation of the TC?

How the TC is connected to the internet?

Is the one operational Mac connected to the same WiFi basestation?

Do you have multiple WiFi basestations?

Have you double checked your network connections on every one of those systems? Do not just assume that nothing has changed, check the networks they are connected to.

Do the Macs that cannot access the internet have real IP addresses or the default ones, and how do you assign the IPs to your Macs?

From your description it sounds bit like that
    a) you have a partitioned network, or
    b) there is some issue in IP address allocation in the network.

a) means that your macs are connecting to a router or basestation that does not have internet connectivity, and
    b) means that for some reason those two macs are unable to get IP addresses for your network.

To rule out a) please verify that any and all WiFi basestations you may have do indeed have internet connectivity. To rule out b) check the IP addresses the macs are allocated and try to verify if they indeed have a network connection.

9. kahornshoej thread starter macrumors newbie

Solution found. Thanks for all your help.

I re-installed 10.7.0 from a USB-drive and then installed the 10.7.3 Combo Update. That solved the problem on all three macs.

Thanks again.!;)