10.7.3 Upgrade Muted My Sound

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Balrama, Feb 2, 2012.

1. Balrama macrumors newbie

Hi Guys

I just upgraded to 10.7.3 only to find that my sound became muted, and the mute button was greyed out not allowing me to change it.

I had to use Time Machine to rollback to 10.7.2.

I am new to the Mac having switched from Windows so I don't know if there was another way to over ride the greyed out mute button.

Anyone else encountered this problem?

2. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

I think you got lucky. My problems with 10.7.3 are way worse. It's totally hosed my mbp so I'm rolling back to 10.7.2 and staying there till a new update is released this one seems quite badly broken.

3. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

That happened to me too. I updated to 10.7.3 while I was watching some YouTube videos, when I noticed that the sound was muted, but all of the volume sliders were accessible if ineffective.

I restarted the computer half-expecting the chime to be muted too, but the restart restored the volume to normal. In fact, I'd almost swear the iMac sounds a little louder.

4. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

I've had this same issue as well.

I took it into the Apple Store, and they replaced the Logic Board and speakers. Not fixed.

They tried an archive install of OS X. No fix.

They gave it back to me after doing a clean install of 10.7.2. Works perfectly. I was one of the earlier adopters, so after doing a complete TM backup, I tried the Combo Update.

NO SOUND. OS X is restoring from the 10.7.2 backup as I write this.

Any of you that are having problems, try installing the 10.7.3 Combo Update from Apple's website overtop of your screwed up 10.7.3 installation and let me know if that fixes it.

5. Böhme417 macrumors 6502

I installed the combo update and have a weird sound issue (among many other issues). When I plug in any headphones or external speakers, the computer will play a bunch of random system sounds. It only stops when I unplug them and plug them back in. It also does it sometimes when I unmute the computer. Muting and unmuting, however, will not get rid of the sound. One time, the only thing I did that would stop it was a reboot.

6. kkishfy macrumors newbie

No sound safer 10.7.3 update

Had the same problem. Nothing at all fixes it, resetting SMU, resetting PRAm, rebooting, installing the combo update after the original "Apple Update", nothing. The only thing that works is restoring back to 10.7.2 via Time machine. Thank god for Time Machine. Funny how it took an Apple Technology to fix a screwed up by Apple. :)