Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BLOND37, Feb 7, 2012.

1. BLOND37 macrumors 6502a

ugh ever since i did the upgrade to my MBP i get the beach ball a lot more :( doesn't matter what i'm doing- web or other stuff <big frown>

2. malachiman macrumors regular

3. BLOND37 thread starter macrumors 6502a

puzzled look.. (seriously tho) i have no idea what yur talking about.. is this something i and or every needed to do? either way i have no idea about doing that.. sigh

i rebooted but that didn't help..

4. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder. In first aid tab is a button to verify and repair disk permissions.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. JFC macrumors member

I've seen "repair disk permissions" written in many threads, but never understood it. What exactly does this do, and why will this prevent the beach ball from coming up?

7. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

disk permissions are the "read" "write" "read & write(both)" permissions associated with any given file

for instance you can "get info" on any file to see what that files permissions are

i think repair means it put any that have accidently been changed back to the default permissions

8. FluffyPop macrumors member

9. wpotere Guest

This will fix it... I had a ton of permission and disk errors after that patch. The combo patch fixed all that.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

As alphaod say's re run the COMBO (NOT THE ONE THAT SAY'S SERVER) on your Machine.

The download is located here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1484

Once downloaded, double clck on the DMG file that has appeared in your DOWNLOADS folder.

A window will open with a small box icon.

Double clck this and follow the onscreen instructions.

Post back when completed (this can take a while depending on your connection speeds and your Mac.

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

10.7.3 is a great version to avoid. There's nothing worse than dealing with bugs when you don't have to.

Apples not perfect (who is?) so why not just pass & soon 10.7.4 will arrive. History reveals that the later revs are the good ones anyway.

That's my take on it. :)

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Some people need the updates within 10.7.3, as for some it actually makes the Wifi useable again, it also has some nice tweaks and seems to have speed increases for me (while the system seems to run better, cooler, and smoother). Worth the risk in my opinion, as it is no worse than the other versions of Lion.

13. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

The combo fixed all three of my mac's....It's the SU (pulled) that contained the errant code.

14. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

This. After updating to 10.7.3 I had no sound, so I took it into Apple. They have it now and are replacing the speakers, I didn't even think about the update.

15. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Downloading 10.7.3 now - wanted to wait to see other results

16. bdodds1985 macrumors 6502a

bdodds1985

WAAAA? a little dramatic I think.

combo update, runs perfect. no problems.

17. camardelle macrumors 6502

Updated my mbp and iMac today to 10.7.3 today and all seems to be working well. I'm not expecting any problems but I've been wrong before. LOL

I still have music so speakers are working. :)

18. nitsura macrumors newbie

Macbook pro 2011 (early) 15" 2.2ghz here. Just upgraded with the client combo and noticed a 10+ degrees celsius drop across the board. I can't be the only one.

19. EEXOOO macrumors regular

Any idea if the update can be done without a reboot?

20. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I can not. The computer will reboot to complete the install and is required.

21. user418 macrumors 6502a

user418

Weird experience for me. I updated a 2010 iMac and a late 2011 MBP via SU. After a few days the iMac developed wifi issues so I updated it with the combo and so far all is well. The MBP is working fine with the delta version so I'll leave well enough alone for now.

I was updating the MBP from a fairly recent fresh install of Lion. Don't know if that made a difference or not.