10.7 Code Used In 10.6

Discussion in 'macOS' started by steiney, Jan 7, 2012.

1. steiney macrumors 6502

Hello All!

I have 10.6 and want to hide the spotlight icon. I was only able to find terminal code through googling that would hide the icon in 10.7.

My question is: will the code damage my OS if I use it, or will it work just the same? I don't know enough about OSes to know the answer.

The code is:

Code:
    sudo chmod 600 /System/Library/CoreServices/Search.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Search
    Then you do
    Code:
    killall SystemUIServer
    to refresh.

The code was found here.

If anyone knows the answer to my question, I would be glad to know it!

Thanks in advance,

steiney

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Most Terminal commands are the same under Lion and SL (and any OS X). It can't really harm anything because it will just report an error if it doesn't work (in this case, the file is not found).

3. balamw, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Unlikely to cause any permanent damage. You can simply restore its permissions using Disk Utility or with another call to chmod (looks like the default permissions are 755 instead of 600).

If the file isn't in the exact same location in 10.6 you will simply get an error and no harm done.

EDIT: Try the killall as
    Code:
    sudo killall SystemUIServer

EDIT: No sudo required it runs as the logged in user.

B

4. simsaladimbamba

Just tested it in 10.6.8 and it works. Though I backed up my system before, but the Terminal command was not deleting anything anyway.

I could also restore the Spotlight icon with the command given in that article.

5. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow. You guys are quick (and awesome). Thank you for the help. I learned something new about Terminal stuff today!

6. kemo macrumors 6502a

kemo

7. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, one more question: Now my Terminal is acting weird. I opened it, and it's just the cursor with no prompt, and when I enter code, it does nothing. I seem to remember I force closed it last time, but maybe not. I've tried quitting and re-opening it, but it's still the same. How do I reset it?

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

9. steiney thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. For the record, I just remembered what caused the Terminal problem (most likely). Yesterday, I put that code in that I had the original question about, but then it came back with an authentication request, which made me have second thoughts, and I just closed the window instead of going through with it. Maybe that caused the hang up.