10.7 development supposedly postponed

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mabaker, Apr 9, 2010.

1. mabaker macrumors 65816

mabaker

From J.Gruber’s blog:

Friday, 9 April 2010

A few months ago, I heard suggestions that Apple had tentative plans to release a developer beta of Mac OS X 10.7 at WWDC this June. That is no longer the case. Mac OS X 10.7 development continues, but with a reduced team and an unknown schedule. It’s my educated guess that there will be no 10.7 news at WWDC this year, and probably none until WWDC 2011.

Apple’s company-wide focus has since been focused intensely on one thing: iPhone OS 4.1 The number one priority at Apple is to grow mobile market share faster than Android. Anything that is not directly competitive with Android is on the back burner.

Can’t say I’m happy about this. :mad:

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

hardly suprising really, 10.6 has only been out for a little while, 10.7 wont be for at least another 12-18 months yet

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Hardly surprising. It seems Apple do not have enough developers employed currently to develop all the new software, so they are having to pool resources, hence the late arrival of 4.0 for the iPad.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

It is "highly surprising" because upcoming versions of OS X have been previewed at WWDC since 2002, even during years when there was heavy iPhone development. I really hope this rumor isn't true.

The delay of 4.0 for the iPad isn't surprising because it came out a week ago. I'm sure they will be putting in iPad only features, perhaps multiple users and dashboard.

5. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

It is also suprising because in the explosion of the iPhone market, there's no shortage of great iPhone and Mac developers.

Apple should go hiring. It's easy to find developers familiar with their platform, and bringing in people from the other side of the AppStore might do it some good.

6. kolax macrumors G3

They'll talk about it at WWDC. Might not be a developer preview, but they'll show off stuff and introduce it to the world.

7. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Sorry, but Apple will ultimately lose to Android when it comes to marketshare, since there are far too many Android devices on the market.

Apple will be overwhelmed and should concentrate on 10.7.

One iPhone does not fit all. The best thing Apple can do is to release more models. Product diversity is required like the iPod if Apple have a hope.

Consumers will buy Android devices faster than iPhones.

8. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Gotta crank out those iPods, no time for computers.

9. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Except ....

....that the iPhoneOS has historically accelerated OS X development rather retarded it.

Currently, MacOS X 10.6 is at MacOS X 10.6.3. MacOS X 10.2 topped-out at 10.2.8; 10.3, 10.3.9; 10.4, 10.4.11; and 10.5, 10.5.8. Based on the history of the last four versions of MacOS X, MacOS X 10.6 has at 67%-80% of its run left. Talk about MacOS X 10.7 is grossly premature.

10. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Incorrect. Leopard was delayed due to the initial iPhone OS development effort.

11. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Five things:
    • MacOS X 10.2 lasted 14 months.
    • MacOS X 10.3 lasted 18 months.
    • MacOS X 10.4 lasted 18 months.
    • MacOS X 10.5 lasted 22 months.
    • MacOS X 10.6 is at 9 months and counting.
    Exactly when was this iPhone-caused delay?

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Going along with the above, even if iPhone development slows down OS X development, I imagine OS X gets some benefit from things accomplished in iPhone OS.

13. damson34 macrumors 6502

I doubt Apple would postponed 10.7 for anything. Even though they make the hardware it has always been the software that makes people buy the hardware. Apple wont stray from that. Plus I think they do swaps on mac os x release teams. One team was working on 10.3 while another was working on 10.4. Once 10.3 shipped, that team started on 10.5. That way they are always ahead of development.

14. macfan881 macrumors 68020

hahaha keep dreaming the big thing that Apple is a sucsses right now is the apps and from this article http://blogs.computerworld.com/15373/ces_which_do_developers_prefer_iphone_or_android

says there liking to make apps for droid but you gotta make sure its compatible with every brand that runs droid OS and goes on to say atleast with the iPhone you have one phone one Major OS so you will know it will work.

15. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Priorities for Apple.
    If the iPhone 4.0 os is the priority did the people who develop os x all just quit working?
    It is simple the iPhone OS team is different from the OS X team. So regardless of the public priority both teams continue to work on both of them.

16. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Leopard was pushed back by ~6 months due to iPhone OS development for the first iPhone.

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Probably sometime around when Apple officially announced that Leopard had been delayed because of the iPhone.

Apple.com circa '07

Lethal

18. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i'm not so sure this is a good idea. i mean, i want the iPhone to grab up market share also, but still, 10.7 is just as important

19. The ArchAngel macrumors regular

I agree, but I suspect iPhone/iPad OS will definitely be the major topic of WWDC.

20. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Thanks for the link. The end result of this "delay" is that Leopard took no longer to come to market than did Tiger before it. Snow Leopard, which was not subject to the iPhone "delay," took four months longer to come to market.

21. DSPalpatine macrumors member

Looking at the glass half-full?

From My Own Personal Specious Logic Dept (TM):

I don't necessarily view this is a bad thing, as Apple has historically provided security updates and patches for the previous OS... extending that logic, Leopard should remain viable until the emergence of 10.7, and if 10.7 is delayed, that means Leopard should keep receiving attention for the next 12-18 months, at least. Good news for those of us trying to keep our PPC machines serviceable for the near future.

(As I said, specious logic, but there it is...)

22. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I've always thought 10.4 lasted longer than 10.5, in fact longest in any of the major OS X revisions.

10.4 = April 2005 - October 2007 = 30 months
    10.5 = October 2007 - August 2009 = 22 months

23. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10.4- April 2005 to October 2007. That's 30 months approx, not 18.

Unless you're counting Tiger on Intel as a separate release. January 2006 to October 2007. That's still approx 22 months.

Oh and there's this. http://www.macrumors.com/2007/04/12/apple-delays-leopard-release/

24. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

It was only back at Leopard's release that Apple said they wanted future OS releases to be leaner and come out every 12-18 months. Of course then Snow Leopard took 22 months.

I'm not sure I believe this rumor, but it's no surprise that Apple computer development has been sidetracked by the iPad and iPhone OS this year.

25. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

My bad. I miscalculated.