10.7 GM Install Failed

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by proathlete03, Jul 2, 2011.

1. proathlete03 macrumors member

Error:
    Mac OS X could not be installed on your computer

Mac OS X can't be installed on the disk Macintosh HD, because a
    recovery system can't be created. Visit www.apple.com/support/no-
    recovery to learn more.

Click Restart to return to your previous version of Mac OS X.

I get this when upgrading from an existing 10.7 Preview 4 OS. I am partitioned two ways, one for Macintosh HD and another for Windows. Had no problem on my iMac or MBP, but my Macbook 2,1 seems to not like this... Put in the Snow leopard retail disk to verify / repair permissions and the disk, but it didn't fix this.

Anyone else have this problem? If so, how did you fix it? A fresh install / format of the drive is totally a last resort.

2. rssfed23 macrumors member

Had this problem as well.

Fresh install worked fine! - Now its GM I felt it best to have a clean install anyways as opposed to upgrading through all the DP's

3. kahornshoej macrumors newbie

I have the exact same problems. Im running a MBA 11 with a bootcamp partition on it.
    Have you found any solutions?
    I have wiped the SL hard-drive. Reinstalled SL and tried to install Lion GM but no luck!!

Help is much appreciated.

4. Jerome Morrow macrumors 6502a

Jerome Morrow

My GM installation took ~1 hour (All DPs ~20 minutes) and progress bar went back a few times from almost finished to ~50%.

What the hell are they doing there at Cupertino.

5. Strothmann macrumors newbie

Same thing here. i even made my partition smaller hoping for it to use that for a recovery (10gig).

6. jmonster66 macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on my iMac with a Windows partition installed.

I really hope someone finds a fix for this!!

7. robbysibrahim macrumors member

robbysibrahim

Same here. First tried a SL upgrade and got the Recovery Partition error. Then I wiped my Mac partition to do a clean install off DVD and got the above error. Then I formatted the whole drive, losing my Windows partition, and still get the error. :mad:

8. robbysibrahim, Jul 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2011

robbysibrahim macrumors member

robbysibrahim

Woah! SO i'm sitting here scratching my head as to why the DVD installer knows my WiFi password even after i partition my entire boot drive. Then I RESET PRAM and boot up again, BAM, different things are happening here! The installer didn't know my WiFi and I got a new language selection and Lion welcome screen and a REAL installation processes is currently taking place now. Should be a few more mintutes here and I'll know for sure. Very sad I deleted my Windows Boot Camp partition :eek:

So try RESETTING PRAM. :D

Edit: installer completed successfully and I'm setting up Lion via the Assistant right now.

9. mackid1993 macrumors member

Try burning the image to a DVD (single layer will do). (Here's how) Then use Carbon Copy Cloner, to make a bootable copy of your drive, on an external drive. Restart your machine, boot into the drive to verify that everything has been copied. Then simply boot into the installer, wipe the drive with disk utility, and use migration assistant to transfer your data off of the external drive. Quite a mouthful, but possibly a solution.

10. Strothmann macrumors newbie

I reset the PRAM and nothing..... really pissing me off... i made a backup up my windows partition just in case. i would hate to think that apple would make me remove the windows partiton just to upgrade......

11. Strothmann macrumors newbie

Well thats one idea but what about my all settings and apps, and **** lol... im not sure what are migration assistant incorporates to even try it.

12. mackid1993 macrumors member

Carbon Copy Cloner will make a bit for bit copy of your internal hard drive, on an external hard drive. Once the program has finished running, restart your Mac, while holding the option key. Then try to boot off of the external drive. If it works, poke around a bit. Play some music, go online, make sure everything is in order. Then load up the Lion installer on the DVD you burned, and wipe your internal drive using disk utility (reassuring yourself that everything is safe and sound on your external). Once the installer completes, it will ask you if you want to transfer any data. There are many options, but you want the one that will allow you to transfer data from an external drive. Once this completes, all of your apps and files should be back on your computer. :) That is how I upgraded from 10.5 to 10.6, and now from 10.6 to 10.7 GM.

13. Strothmann macrumors newbie

alright i got it. you cant install lion if you have a bootcamp partiton..... i deleted my bootcamp and bam lion installed... wtf apple why

14. tmaxxtigger macrumors member

I have a bootcamp partition and was able to do a clean install...

15. Squuiid macrumors 6502a

Squuiid

Yes, me too. Windows 7 Bootcamp works fine, Windows XP does not.
    Macbook Pro 2011 with Win 7 Bootcamp updated to Lion without any problems.

Macbook Pro 13" 2009 with Win XP Pro x86 cannot upgrade to Lion and gives me the error listed in this thread, "Recovery system can't be created".