10.7 Lion bugs and strange features thread

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by fabian9, Jul 19, 2011.

1. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

With the release of lion being imminent, I thought I'd start a thread to capture all the bugs and strange features that it ships with.

I'll start with one of said strange features and one omission:

- scrolling is reversed, whereas before when you scrolled down, the page would scroll down, it now scrolls up! This is because it's meant to be the same as on iOS, like the canvas moving under your fingers... Took me ages to get used to it, before realising that it can be reversed in system preferences, thank god for that! :)

- multitouch gestures to go back and forwards in finder are gone. Before it was possible to to three finger swipes to move backwards and forwards in the folder structure. Haven't found a way to re-enable this yet.

Keep posting other bugs, omissions and strange new features, I'll try to keep the list updated.

2. Mrguidogenio macrumors regular

Mrguidogenio

Have you tried BetterTouchTool?

3. Pegamush macrumors regular

for my experience in two weeks of usage:
    - everything is bouncy, makes me sick, transitions and animations makes working slower
    - mission control is really messy, spaces moves around themselves! (also they are now in a straight line, not in a grid, which makes thing a little bit slower)
    - wallpapers between once-called-spaces is messy: i need to open system preferences from a specific space to change that specific wallpaper (could've been done better)
    - gestures are all different by default, needs time to revert everything to how it was with SL or get used to it
    -no more rosetta --> bye bye Diablo 2 :"(

in conclusion, it actually feels like a toy, like a giant iPad, not suitable for simple fast working, it's a lot more consumer oriented, which is where apple is going.
    i'm really disappointed, there are few things really nice and welcome, but getting used to the new system is really a pain in the a$$, i'm going back to SL, that was perfect for my needs

4. mogwat macrumors newbie

Lion "Features"

I have been running the GM for a few weeks, and I have to say it does have a few bugs with occasional resort to the beach-ball of death but no more than you expect with a new OS. The main issues I have however are not with Lion, but everything else. Most of my software has some strange unexpected behaviour that shows itself after regular use. Some things just refuse to work. What has been surprising is the lack of third party updates to address this. Apple has been releasing updates over the last week or two - as has firefox to fix Lion niggles, but it's looking like a lot of people are being slow or waiting till Lion is actually out and people have a problem.

:apple:

5. Pegamush macrumors regular

i just found out that this is actually a function of mission control, which fortunately can be disabled

6. basher macrumors 6502

basher

7. mrblack927 macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

System Prefs > Trackpad > Swipe between pages > Change the option to "Swipe left or right with three fingers"

That will re-enable it. Exactly as it was in Snow Leopard.

8. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

perfect, thanks!!

9. fabian9 thread starter macrumors 65816

fabian9

10. Joelb955 macrumors member

The most unbearable feature with Lion is that there is no apps folder in the dock, that and none of your mounted images show up on the desktop But these can all be fixed. The issues i have are not with the OS but with software EG when running vista in Vmware fusion 3 and having turned aero on the whole VM turns bright bright red.
    A few bugs with the OS:
    When opening an app from the dock and switching to another space, it will drag that window with and then return the window to it's original position.

Opening "About this mac" will follow whatever space you are in(even full screen apps)

And these are in the GM!

11. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

-Safari constantly throws up an error saying something to the effect of the page can't load, click to try again. And then if you do, it reloads every open page in every window.
    -Launchpad has no way to delete non-App Store apps and includes every app in the Applications folder (including all the Office uninstallers and all the various Adobe CS apps like Extension Manager and installers strewn about)
    -Can't drag files into the Open File window to select it quickly
    -Can't use Command-D to quickly select "Don't Save" when closing an unsaved document
    -No way to clear the list of recent documents from the Dock menu of apps

Also: if you quit QuickTime Player while playing a movie in fullscreen, the next time you open the app it will go to full screen mode but the movie shows up in a regular window.

12. itzman macrumors newbie

every thing works fine in my mbp but the battery has been short changed