10.7 Razer Driver Compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Entopia7, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Entopia7 macrumors regular

Anyone running 10.7 with Razer mouse drivers installed and in working order? Getting ready to upgrade, and I can't seem to find any info on Razer's website...

2. DJRiful macrumors newbie

DJRiful

I'm using the same old Razer driver for my Orochi on 10.7. No issues.

3. sesnir macrumors 6502

I'm having major issues with the Razer Mamba on 10.7... kernel panics, unstable drivers, etc. It's a mess, though I didn't use it in Snow Leopard so I'm not sure if it's a new problem due to 10.7 or if it's always been this terrible.

4. macaddict77 macrumors newbie

mac os x lion + any razer product = kernel panic and other crap

i have the newest razer mamba 2012 mouse and the blackwidow ultimate for mac keyboard. i used them in lion for about 2 weeks before having kernel panics and after that i deleted the drivers but then my computer kept freezing. this is ridiculous! the mouse and keyboard cost each 130$!!!! i expect to use my 260$!!! setup with my mac, instead of having to save my data and set up my imac with the previous mac os. RIDICULOUS!
    (i know that officially the drivers are only supported from 10.5-10.6... but stilll...)

i wouldn't be surprised if razer doesn't bring an update till sometime next year... mac gaming is unfortunately always last priority... :-(
    and i know it's getting better, because razer products for mac would't exist if the mac gaming market wouldn't be doing well...

so at first i didn't know for sure it was the operating system that was causing the problems. so after having the kernel panics i booted in safe mode with the shift key. then i deleted the keyboard driver and i was able to boot and use the computer. with the mouse driver still installed i could use the imac but only for a short time because it kept freezing. oh yeah, here comes the best part: so i thought maybe i can use the keyboard without the drivers, just plugging it in? right? no!!! when you plug it without drivers it also leads to kernel panics! yay!!!

so now the restart of my computer system:
    at first i deleted everything with the write zeroes over data command in disk utility, then i installed snow leopard and did all updates. then installed lion and all updates. then i installed the drivers and used the computer for about 2 hours with no problems. apart from vlc player and the system there was nothing on the hard drive. next day i turn the imac on and voila kernel panic again.
    so this very obviously means that mac os x lion does definitely not work with any razer driver that's available right now, or at least those 2 mentioned

now i have snow leopard with all software updates and the drivers work perfectly, have had no problems at all :)

i've searched the internet and even found some unfortunate people who're having kernel panics under snow leopard!

i love the products razer makes and i actually don't wanna bash them, but this is the first time as a mac user that i feel like a windows user that's getting screwed over because technology isn't working. on my mac normally everything works and i never have problems...

razer is a huge, wealthy, probably multi-million dollar corporation and they can't even make software that works correctly with the mac! wtf!

does any one know if razer has a forum? i couldn't find one on their homepage: www.razerzone.com

5. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

I have a Razer Mamba 2012 and have no issues. Works fine in wireless and wired mode. Had some trouble first, then I updated the firmware to 1.04. The firmware updater tool is only available for Windows. Now everything is working as it should.

6. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

I'm going to revive this thread because I'm going to buy the 2012 Razer Mamba, so I must ask, how is the driver support now? Specifically with the 2012 Mamba on 10.7.4. Any common problems?

7. CUsurfer macrumors member

I can't comment on the Mamba, but I bought an Orochi today and it didn't work at all in 10.7.4. I mean it kind of worked, for a few minutes here and there. Every time I tried to setup additional macros it crashed and sometimes the mouse would freak out and I'd get a recurring system error sound. In other words, the driver is complete garbage. I'm going to return it.

8. leftywamumonkey macrumors 6502a

leftywamumonkey

That's too bad. :(

Luckily if the Mamba doesn't work well, Amazon has a great return policy.
    Thanks for your response.

9. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

My Razer DeathAdder 3500dpi seems fine under Mac OS X 10.7.4 with the latest Razer driver and firmware, if that's any help?

10. macaddict77 macrumors newbie

it's actually good you revived this thread because things have changed for the better!

my black widow ultimate and the mamba 2012 are working perfectly! i have 10.7.4 on my mac and i have the newest firmware on both devices.

the big difference is the firmware! since i upgraded the firmware on both devices everything is working as it should! the only thing i cannot confirm is if macros work because i don't use them... but i assume they should work since i don't have any other problems!

oh and by the way... in case you didn't know you HAVE to upgrade the firmware on a windows pc! even the black widow with mac layout! :-D

hope this helps! happy gaming!

11. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Using them on 10.7.4 with a razer deathadder... and no issues so go ahead :)

12. Entopia7 thread starter macrumors regular

I'll post again here to add another "yes! drivers are great!" to the pile. The latest Razer drivers are actually pretty darn fantastic in OS X. Little tray icon, lots of profile switches, macro support, etc.

I'm using a Deathadder 3.5g and the regular edition of the Black Widow mac keyboard, and I have had 0 issues. Very good experience hardware and software side.

13. jordanb96 macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of getting the new Razer Mamba 2012, but I'm not sure where to find the right firmware/ software to get the mouse to work.. if anybody could link me to what i need to download to get this mouse to work, i'd be forever grateful! :) :apple:

14. macaddict77 macrumors newbie

Mamba 2012 driver and firmware: http://www.razersupport.com/index.php?_m=downloads&_a=view&parentcategoryid=172&pcid=171&nav=0,76,171
    You definitely should check if your mouse has the latest firmware and update it if necessary! Once you have the driver and you've connected the mouse, the driver will tell you what your firmware is. Last but not least: you NEED to update the firmware with a windows pc! Unfortunately you can't update it on a mac!

15. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

BTW I've noticed recently that in Mac OS X Razer Synapse now often doesn't seem to find my mouse profiles for my Razer Deathadder 3500 and I seem to hve to manually recreate these, yet the profiles (whether created in Mac OS X or in Windows 7 via Bootcamp) work fine in Windows 7 under Bootcamp - has anyone else experienced this?

I'm using the latest Razer drivers in both OS and the latest Deathadder firmware. I've recently upgraded to Mac OS X 10.8 but was having this problem in 10.7.4 too :-(

16. oxfordguy macrumors 6502a

Further investigation reveals that the problem seems to be on resuming from sleep, on an initial boot from scratch it works fine, but it has problems on resume from sleep.

17. Mr.Bullitt macrumors regular

Any have Orochi working with Mountain Lion??

so, what is the state of events? :-D

I would like to buy an Orochi, but now that I have upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion, I am worried that it will not work.

- Does someone have an Orochi working with Mountain Lion???

18. ThisAppleGuy macrumors newbie

So glad to see the new improvements on Razer mouses.. cause I just bought one, and all the other google searches were giving me bad news ><.. But this is Good :D!

19. Tony5787 macrumors member

@Mr.Bullit I just sent my Naga Epic back after Synapse 2.0 kept repeatedly crashing in 10.8 (if I closed my MacBook Pro to put it in sleep mode when I woke it back up Synapse was unresponsive and couldn't be force quit so I had to restart my computer). The old drivers wouldn't work at all in 10.8. I picked up a G700 now and I'm using it with USB Overdrive and it's working perfectly. Had I known about USB Overdrive before I would have kept the Naga Epic but that's neither here nor there now. If you plan to use your Razer mouse with 10.8 right now, I would not recommend you do so.

20. Scrapula macrumors 6502

I use a Razer Orochi with no problem in Mountain Lion. It is before Razer started Synapse. The old drivers copied over from my old Mac to my new iMac. Not a single problem with it sleeping / waking up.