Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Anyone do this update yet on the 13" retina? I'm interested to see if there are performance improvements in native Safari. The release notes seem to indicate that. I'm downloading it now from the train so its going to take a while. 567 MB. There goes my data plan this month. :(

stewacide

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2002
Yes. Safari seems much smoother. Maybe even non-retina Mac smooth. Even more noticeable in the App Store which went from a slideshow to decent.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Safari is not fixed on my 13" rMBP. Hell, it might be worse. :(

I never had a problem to begin with... It's the same for me, but either my early 2013 i7 3.0 magically doesnt have this issues or i dont know..

Works great for me, no issues at all.

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Interesting. I notice some improvements compared to 10.8.2, mostly when scrolling through sites like the Verge.

That's the primary site I use for testing.

I never had a problem to begin with... It's the same for me, but either my early 2013 i7 3.0 magically doesnt have this issues or i dont know..

Works great for me, no issues at all.

Go to the Verge. Select a couple random articles. Double tap to zoom the text on each one. Then try to scroll. And please report back.

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
Go to the Verge. Select a couple random articles. Double tap to zoom the text on each one. Then try to scroll. And please report back.

Do you have a non-Retina Mac? The Verge is a very complicated site and lags when scrolling on my iMac using Chrome or FireFox. Any site that lags on the Retina logs on a regular Mac as well.

vatter69

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Fixed for me. About the same performance as Webkit.

Now let's talk about Mail and Itunes ;)

Modernape

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
Yes, some improvement, but Webkit is still even faster/smoother, so I'm using that (and it's stable too).

trigonometry

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
South Carolina
Do you have a non-Retina Mac? The Verge is a very complicated site and lags when scrolling on my iMac using Chrome or FireFox. Any site that lags on the Retina logs on a regular Mac as well.

I have a 13" rMBP. Previously a 2012 13" MBA and I honestly do not remember this type of scroll lag.

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
Updated mine last night but haven't had much chance to try it out. never really noticed much in the way of lag in Safari but then I usually use the iPad for surfing.
The lag when first showing the dock or first time opening launchpad is improved although I wouldn't say perfect yet. This only ever happened on the first time they were opened though, subsequent launches were buttery smooth so I believe this is purely a caching issue and the new retina icons (4x size) not loading up as quick.

twisdit

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2012
Washington DC
updated mine as well last night (13 rMBP)and saw little improvements. What made the biggest difference for me was by installing the adblock extension on safari.

for reference, check out: http://macdailynews.com/

with the ad on disabled and abled.. huge difference

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.