Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joe G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
Since moving to MacMail from Outlook on a PC I've always missed the ability to drag a picture or file from one email into an email I was composing...once in a while it would work but usually I had to save the file from the first email and then attach it to the second.

The upgrade to 10.8.4 last night fixed this - I can drag a file from one email to an new email perfectly! Hooray.

Hope someone else finds this as useful as I do.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I'm happy that you're happy. However, I don't think this is a new feature for Mail. I am away from my older Macs at the moment, but I am sure this works with them.

Joe G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
I'm happy that you're happy. However, I don't think this is a new feature for Mail. I am away from my older Macs at the moment, but I am sure this works with them.

Lion nor Mountain Lion allowed this until today with the upgrade. It was a feature I missed from Outlook and am happy I now have.

At least I can say that with 100% certainty on my computer. Maybe your old Macs work this way, I can't attest to that.

Drag and drop attachments is a great feature.

Now if I could get my Mac to send emails reliably to folks with Outlook without messing up the fonts I'd really be happy. Universal Mailer plug in works pretty well but not perfectly.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

Now if I could get my Mac to send emails reliably to folks with Outlook without messing up the fonts I'd really be happy. Universal Mailer plug in works pretty well but not perfectly.
How many times does it have to be said? Email formatting display is controlled by the recipient, not the sender.

Joe G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
How many times does it have to be said? Email formatting display is controlled by the recipient, not the sender.

:confused:

When you try to use a Mac in business and send emails to folks with Outlook, which is most people, the receiver thinks you sent an unprofessionally formatted email, particularly if you are forwarding an email chain...fonts are wrong, sizes are wrong, etc..

Should I tell the recipient it's their fault? Right...every other email they get looks normal.

How does that plan work for you?

No, the problem is with the way Macs send email. I've been dealing with this for 3 years. Universal Mailer add in gets it pretty close and makes it workable.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Since moving to MacMail from Outlook on a PC I've always missed the ability to drag a picture or file from one email into an email I was composing...once in a while it would work but usually I had to save the file from the first email and then attach it to the second.
If memory serves, you've been able to drag an attachment from one email to another since at Least Leopard.

Joe G

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 27, 2009
You could drag from a finder window to an email but not between emails. I am very certain on this, maybe your machine is different, but that is precisely how mine worked until yesterday.

I hope somebody actually finds this tip useful. So far it seems I've wasted my time posting.

madmacfan

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
London, United Kingdom
I've Been using this feature on a regular basis since at least Snow leopard 10.6.8. I find It strange that the op has only been able to use this since the 10.8.4 update. Maybe somethings gone awry with his/her system? If so maybe a permissions repair in disk utility would help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.