10.9.1 and scrolling lag + UI lag

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Dec 17, 2013.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hi there,

I was wondering if people using rmbps notice no lag when using the new 10.9.1 in webpages/UI or for example resizing windows in non "best for retina" resolutions.

Thank you

2. leman macrumors 604

I don't see any changes. Apps which didn't lag (like Safari) still don't lag. Apps which lagged (like App Store) still lag. E.g. in Safari the scrolling is still around 50fps on sites like Facebook and The Verge (commonly used to illustrate scrolling lag). This is measured on a 2012 15" rMBP, base model. Mission control also seems to be the same - there is a short initial delay if you haven't used it in a while (and there are lots of apps open), after which it becomes very smooth again.

3. commac macrumors regular

Doesnt look like 10.9.1 did anything to address UI or GPU issues.

4. dav1dd, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013

dav1dd macrumors regular

dav1dd

Better Performance Here

I have a late 2013 MBPr 15" and since upgrading to 10.9.1 have found a noticeable performance increase (swiping to show desktop and spaces, quick view of files by clicking space - general UI navigation stuff). I now feel like I am getting the performance I was meant to get with this machine (when I got it 2 months ago). PS - I only use 'best for retina'.

5. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Late 2013 2.3GHz i7 with dGPU here, no changes as far as UI smoothness goes (when using Iris Pro). Although scrolling in Safari is much better.

6. VintonC macrumors newbie

This was a major step back for me. Scrolling isn't exactly laggy, it scrolls the wrong window. Its fine right after startup but not long after I will be in Mail and want to scroll message view with the track pad and the message list view will scroll. Not only does the wrong window scroll, but instead of rubber banding after pulling down it continues to scroll until none of the messages in the list/inbox view are visible, they have scrolled off the bottom. Using tab, switching apps, doesn't help. The beach ball is back quite often. It was mostly gone after upgrading to 10.9.0. Worse yet, the whole machine completely freezes with 10.9.1. The clock even quits updating. Where was the quality testing before this release. I have used every version of Mac OS since 6.0. I really questioned whether all the good OS X developers were moved over to iOS after Snow Leopard. The quality hasn't been close to what I expect from Apple. But then they released iOS 7 and that indicated that the good developers weren't working on that project either. I love iRadio in iOS 7but its almost impossible to use because it starts skipping I can change to iTunes music I have loaded on my iPhone and its still skips. It usually requires a reboot. I know this post was just about scrolling but I use my macbook pro everyday for work and I need it to just work, like it used to.

7. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Still same problems as before with UI lag in scaled resolutions. I'm thinking of reverting to ML. I think it would be the best way for me to "get my computer back".

8. drxcm macrumors regular

Safari seems better to me on rmbp 13" haswell 2.8 i7 @ 1440 x 900 scaled.
    Might be Apples RDF though..

9. leman macrumors 604

10.9 offers undoubtedly better performance in HiDPI modes than 10.8 (I am seeing fps improvements of over 60% here, using the same hardware and same content). If its not the case for you, you might have a botched installation or some other problem.

10. AirThis macrumors 6502a

I have no such luck. Even with a fresh install :(

11. leman macrumors 604

This is very weird. Did you try SMC reset and all the other stuff?

12. AirThis macrumors 6502a

Actually, yes. I tried zapping/resetting multiple times. Running Unigine yields a lowly 16.9 fps as a result, on a fresh install of Mavericks, which definitely seems on the slow end of things.

13. Zuxor, Dec 18, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2013

Zuxor macrumors newbie

rMBP 13" (late 2013) here and on 10.9.1 Safari feels much better now. Had really bad stutter in Facebook and heavy image based websites. Now it runs noticeable smoother.

Really happy with the update.

14. iWeekend macrumors regular

Same as Zuxor. Just updated and scrolling in both FF and Safari on late '13 rMBP seems smoother on larger pages. I never really had a problem with the UI since new.

15. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Running in 1920x1080 mode with the 15" Iris Pro, some UI animations do get slightly slower. But scrolling through The Verge or Engadget doesn't appear jerky at all.

16. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

17. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Just tried it at scaled 1920x1080 res. Using Photoshop CC resizing the window lags about 1/2 a second behind the cursor. Lags so bad while dragging that occasionally the beach ball appears.

Safari flies though. Doesn't lag at all while scrolling web pages. It's even smoother than my 2012 model.

This is the base haswell 2013 model with iris pro graphics.

18. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

Does that mean it's an apple problem or an Adobe problem?

19. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Probably Apple's fault. The scaled resolutions for me are horrible, very laggy.

20. zeiter thread starter macrumors 6502

then I have no idea what computer to get. The mac mini still has ivy bridge and hd4000 and the new macbook pro are sluggish and laggy with the programs I need the most (photoshop + lightroom)....I guess I'll have to go the windows 7 route... :(

21. tubbymac, Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013

tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Ask yourself this, though. How often do you resize the Photoshop window? I haven't resized it in weeks and when I do, it's for like 5 seconds and I go on with my work. It's such a rare thing it won't affect your workflow. The actual USE of Photoshop on a rMBP is excellent - it's plenty fast and snappy.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I use Photoshop in best for retina "non-scaled" resolution when I work. Never used it in scaled resolution except for that resize test, so I can't really comment on how it performs in scaled resolution during normal workflows. Somebody else with experience can chime in in that case.

22. leman macrumors 604

Its clearly Adobe's bug. Yes, resizing a windows involves more work in a HiDPI mode - the application should be able to optimise it. Many applications are quite inefficient about resizing - they try to recompute everything for each single pixel they are being resized. Its quite wasteful of course - and while its possible to get away with it on a normal screen, it gets critical in the HiDPI mode and its 6x pixels. Apple API offers plenty of opportunities to optimise resizing - by tweaking what is displayed during a live resize. I fail to see how its Apple's fault if Adobe fails to use them.

P.S. I don't see much lag when resizing a Pixelmator window.

P.P.S. As noted above, its a bit weird to reject a computer based on a resize bug. Its not like your work only involves resizing windows, does it?

23. wisann macrumors newbie

When you guys are working on Lightroom/Photoshop, which resolution are you using?

I am considering to purchase rMBP 13 for my Lightroom/Photoshop work on the road (I chose 13" for portability), but can't find a video or review showing if the UI will have lag when using Lightroom/Photoshop. Anyone can share some videos or probably feedback on this?

Note: I am planning to get the max rMBP 13" :)