10.9 -> 10.9.1, extreme slowness. How to delete + recreate a user account?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lekkagelek, Jan 12, 2014.

1. lekkagelek macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

First of all I'm sorry if this has been treated before, I couldn't find any recent post on the subject and figured some things may have changed.

Since updating from 10.9 to 10.9.1 my Macbook Pro (13", medio 2010) is so extremely slow that it's impossible to do anything. Just loading the desktop and the previews of photos and documents on it takes 1 hr or so. Any general help for this problem would be great; I don't think it's a hardware issue as Windows on bootcamp seems to work fine (even though I let the mac fall on the ground just before the update).

As suggested by others, I already reset the NVRAM and SMC and went to safe mode to control/repair the hard disk - to no avail. Then, I created another user account, and while there's still considerable lag (indicating the problem's still there), the overall performance is better. This would mean, imo, that a) I need to resort to a more thorough method to fix the problem, ie. copying/erasing the hard disk and removing everything back, and b) that I need to delete and recreate my user account to get rid of the user files/preferences that are obviously causing the extreme slowness (right?). My question thus relates to how to do that, keeping in mind that I'm not much of a mac geek.

On a side note, I can't install some firmware update from the apple store: after downloading and installing, the mac gives a beep sound when it restarts, followed by a black screen (although it's still running). But this may be a completely unrelated matter.

Thank you in advance for any advice or help!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

3. lekkagelek thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Bruno; just did that, unfortunately it didn't change anything...

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. lekkagelek thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, I can launch the internet AHT, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. Just lets me choose a Wifi (I have ethernet connection already), then nothing happens except that the globe keeps spinning...

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Your MBP 13" Mid-2010 came with 2 grey DVD's : the right AHT is on the second one ("Applications Install DVD").

AHT 3A192

The AHT's are model-specific.

7. lekkagelek, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014

lekkagelek thread starter macrumors newbie

I must have lost the DVDs as I have no recollection ever seeing them. Is there a solution to this?
    By the way, I understood my MBP could use internet AHT (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904).

I'll try running AHT through WiFi tomorrow, in the meantime does anyone know how to deal with the corrupt or incompatible settings/software/preferences of one user account?

8. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

10.91 nearly tanked my 2013 Mini (i7 2.6GHz & Fusion Drive) and, like the OP, it was unbearably slow. I tried a reinstall but to no avail, so I restored 10.9 from a 3 day old Time Machine backup and everything returned to blazing fast. I have no clue what happened but 10.9 works fine--save for FW drives not sleeping--so I decided to let sleeping dogs lie...

I also have a Carbon Copy Clone of the Fusion drive in case TM tanks too...

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

The link you show refers to Internet Recovery ( = reinstalling the OS from Internet).

This has nothing to do with AHT : your AHT is on the second DVD, and AFAIK, nowhere else (you can't download it).

10. lekkagelek thread starter macrumors newbie

Yet I understand there is an internet version of AHT, and that if my Mac can use the OS X Internet Recovery feature I should be able to use AHT through the internet?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4904 (I have a 13" MBP mid-2010)

"Some Macintosh computers that shipped with OS X Lion and later support the use of Apple Hardware Test over the Internet. These computers will start up to an Internet-based version of AHT if the hard drive does not contain AHT. An Internet-enabled connection via Ethernet or Wi-Fi is required to use this feature. Internet-based AHT functions the same as AHT on the hard drive or flash storage outlined above.

The Mac NoteBook and Desktop computers listed in Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery will require a firmware in order to support the Internet version of AHT. Without this update you may see the behavior discussed in this article. (http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509)"

11. lekkagelek thread starter macrumors newbie

I found my CD's and ran a simple AHT. No problems found. Because I now found my original 10.6.3 CD I'd like to go back; do I need to clean my HD or something, or can I just install it over Mavericks without a problem?