OS X 10.9.2 and graphics drivers

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ventuss, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ventuss macrumors 6502

I was all excited about 10.9.2 and its graphics drivers update, and I didn't notice any real benefit from it, Tomb Raider plays the same, as most games I tried.

Did you notice anything at all?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Probably depends more on the hardware you're using. More modern GPUs will likely see more of a performance boost than older ones.

3. ventuss thread starter macrumors 6502

I have the late 2013 iMac with 780M GPU.

I get like 30fps while playing Tomb Raider on Bootcamp setting graphics to Ultimate (+ TressFX), while I get those same 30fps on Mac (High settings). I was expecting the last update to fix it, still, same results.

4. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

The FPS on the latest NV is 25% faster (sometimes more) on 10.9.2 based on tests we and Nvidia have done. F1 2013 is 40% faster on the NV780 card.

On the 780M we find you can play at ~30+ fps in game on max settings.

Edwin

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Cool.

I wonder if 10.9.3 gets even better results, as Apple is focussing on grfx again.

6. Moonraker macrumors member

Moonraker

Interesting details. Thanks for these.
    Checking the Nvidia GPU updates before and after there did not appear to be major revision changes;

Was the increase in performance down to general OpenGL driver improvement or optimisations specific to your Tomb Raider/ F1 Mac ports?

Sad as ever we trail the latest Windows drivers which is at 335.23 now, putting us about a year behind still.

With all the exciting news coming out of GDC I do hope Apple step up and really begin to tackle this situation. Maybe the 10.9.3 seed request for graphics feedback bodes well?

7. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

I'm running the latest 331.01.01 on mine.
    http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/74402/en-us
    They are not supported by all cards tho, but it does do wonders on my GTX780 (not-M).

I'm actually running 327.23 on win7, because all 33x.x drivers break Nvidia surround.

NVidia has newer drivers available for Mac OSX; but if it is apple or Nvidia holding these back is unclear.

8. bry223 macrumors regular

It's still using the 310 driver, which came out, in what Oct of 2012? Good ol Apple. You can probably understand why game developers who are trying to support the OSX platform really get upset by Apple's lack of commitment when it comes to doing something like updating their graphics drivers at least once a year.

Even the 10.9.3 beta is still using the 310 driver.

9. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

Although it seems the mac branch of the drivers are based off the PC ones to start with, it's obvious they're not directly comparable...

You might want to have a look at Edwins post above regarding the difference between 10.9.1 and 10.9.2.

10. Moonraker macrumors member

Moonraker

There probably is a difference but given that 331. for example also runs on Macs (Mac Pro for example as stated) it appears that the capability is there.

It's why I asked the question because I have to say from my own testing before and after 10.9.2, I got nothing close to 25% increase in performance. In fact there was very little difference. Even with a small iteration which it appears to be, if that was optimised specifically for FI games, then that may explain the difference.

Have you notice a change in that order?

11. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

I have an AMD card. Don't have the 780m myself.

12. Moonraker macrumors member

Moonraker

There was more change I believe in the AMD driver support in 10.9.2 than for the Nvidia (related to new Mac Pro?)

One of the problems is Apple rarely ever gives details other than a general one liner.