10.9.2 display sleep issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by HenryAZ, Feb 25, 2014.

1. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Has anyone else observed that their display does not actually sleep under 10.9.2?

My screen blanks at the preset time, and it takes a keypress to bring it back, but the display's power LED never goes from blue to orange. I also never get the box on the screen that says the display signal has been lost. The temperature of the monitor after "sleeping" for a while also reflects this.

I have done a reset of SMC and PRAM. Hardware is a 2011 Mac Mini and a NEC PA271W monitor.

The monitor sleeps correctly under 10.9.1 and prior versions back to 10.7.x.

2. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Works fine for me but I have a different computer and monitor.

3. Nebster macrumors newbie

I'm seeing the same thing, on my Mac Pro with a PA271W.

4. HenryAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Thanks for the reply. What model Mac Pro do you have, and what graphics card does it use? My mini has the AMD Radeon HD 6630M, if that matters.

There is a thread on the Apple Support Communities about certain NEC monitors exhibiting this under 10.9.2.

I now have 10.9.1 and 10.9.2 installed on two internal drives, and display sleep is 100% not working on 10.9.2 with the PA271W.

5. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

My Mini i7 and Cinema Display sleep like a baby under 10.92. No problems whatsoever.

6. hayleywow macrumors regular

hayleywow

I have the same problem and i'm using a 2012 MBP connected to a DELL external monitor, the monitor will try to sleep but then wakes straight away again and continues to do this..

7. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

My Mac Pro 5.1 with ATI 5770 has two NEC PA271 monitors. The left one will go to sleep but the right one will not. Under 10.9.1 everything was fine.

The other unusual thing is that the mouse cursor remains on the sleeping screen if that is where it was upon sleep, though the mouse is not active.

8. HenryAZ thread starter macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have observed the phantom mouse cursor as well. That, plus the fact I never get the "display signal lost" banner, plus the monitor light never goes amber, plus the power draw of the monitor remains the same (and its temperature never goes down like it does when sleeping).

Another data point is that if I choose computer sleep (which I normally do not use), either through System Preferences or via command-option-eject, then everything sleeps fine, computer, external drives, and monitor.

My preferred setting is display sleep only, and that is what is not working under 10.9.2.

9. yomibro macrumors regular

My Dell monitor goes to sleep but my system doesn't automatically, have to do this manually every single time. It was working fine with 10.8.5...

10. Chuck Rodent macrumors member

Chuck Rodent

command-option-eject results in my left monitor going black and the right screen staying on.

11. hkim1983 macrumors 6502

I am using an ASUS VH236H and I haven't experienced this problem.

12. lbaum macrumors newbie

problem also applies to DisplayLink monitors

Hi there, I'm experiencing the same "no sleep" issue with a USB-connected DisplayLink monitor... :-(

13. Kobayagi macrumors 6502a

Kobayagi

Funny thing is, my MacBook Air will go to sleep while I paused youtube or a movie, but it won't go to sleep when I just leave it on the dekstop, with all apps closed.... it's doing completely the opposite. :confused:

14. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

I just have to chime in here. My issue is that my MP 3.1 doesn't go to sleep despite that I've setup the prefs pane for monitor sleep 15 minutes / system 1 hour. When I push the [power button] or [alt-cmd-eject] it goes into sleep just fine with 3 different monitors and wakes up with no issues. Anybody an idea?

TIA & Cheers

15. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck