10.9.2 Kernel_task out of control RAM hog

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by VideoBeagle, Mar 5, 2014.

1. VideoBeagle, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2014

VideoBeagle macrumors 6502a

Since upgrading to 10.9.2 the other day, I've now had two times the message that I'm out of RAM, when I check Activity Monitor, I find Kernal_task has hit 9-10 gigs RAM.

It's tied to Firefox, which averages 2 gigs RAM (I have lots of tabs/windows). When I force quit Firefox, Kernal Task dropped to 1.5 gigs.

This didn't happen ever before the upgrade to 10.9.2, and that's the only change in software or behavior since then.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

2. WallToWallMacs macrumors regular

What is 9.1.2?

The amount of memory stated is allocated not used and in reference to kernel_task it goes up and down based on video memory requirements - it shadows the video memory for those with discrete gpu's for technical reasons.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd suggest using another browser, it sounds like FF isn't playing nice with 10.9.2.

4. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

10.9.2 fixed...

But it's not releasing ram when needed...today, it's gone from 4 to now 9.3 gigs.

what's it doing? the Memory Pressure is now in the yellow...I don't frankly know what that means, but it doesn't seem good.

5. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

You have probably older and incompatible software on your HDD/SSD. Try a clean installation of OS X 10.9.2!

6. WallToWallMacs macrumors regular

Again that is allocated not actual used memory - if you run top from terminal you'll see that a lot of the memory is either having resources that are shared, the memory has been over allocated then released when the operating system deems it as necessary etc. Honestly, I don't know why people are getting paranoid over memory usage given that this issue has been addressed many times in the past.

7. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because my 16 gig RAM filled imac is suddenly actually giving me pop ups saying I'm out of memory and must close programs when it's being caused by the computer's own process using over half of the memory?

8. w0lf macrumors 65816

w0lf

Obviously did not read OP.

Sounds like the problem is actually Firefox (or another 3rd party app) though.

Just because the mem build up is being reported under Kernel_task doesn't mean it's Mavericks fault.

Do you get this same issue if you use Safari, Chrome or maybe even a nightly build of Firefox?

9. VideoBeagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

I rarely use Safari, and I try to avoid Chrome...and all Google apps..due to their incessant phoning home....

Firefox of course has a memory leak and builds up over time...it's had that since day 1, and either can't be, or won't be fixed.

This problem has only started since I upgraded to 10.9.2. That's the changed variable. So either it's now reacting to a problem that Firefox has in a way that causes problems for the user...or it has a problem that is exacerbated by Firefox that causes problems for the user.