10.9.2 Lock Screen password won't get focus

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Jeff Flowerday, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Jeff Flowerday macrumors regular

I've noticed a problem since installing 10.9.2, on occasion when my Macbook Pro goes to the lock screen, I'm unable to get focus in the password text field to enter the password.

It simply won't accept key strokes and the cursor doesn't flash.

I'm forced to hard shutdown the computer.

I've done a PRAM and SMC reset already.

2. b.c. macrumors 6502

have you tried first clicking the mouse/trackpad, then using the keyboard?

just curious if what you're seeing is the same as what I've noticed ever since I upgraded to Mavericks.

Some time ago I posted a separate thread here, but unfortunately no responses.

3. Jeff Flowerday thread starter macrumors regular

I press the mouse to wake the display. The mouse is active but i can't get focus in the password field by clicking it with the mouse.

The keyboard is working, the escape key and function buttons to control music and lighting all work.

4. bxs macrumors 6502

I had this problem also. I tried all sorts of things before finally re-insalling the OS via the Internet using the Recovery HD partition method and that resolved the issue. I have to assume some system file was corrupted somehow that was causing this issue. I've not seen the issue since re-installing.

Good luck.

5. Jeff Flowerday thread starter macrumors regular

I just picked up my new loaded Macbook Pro 15" 2 weeks ago and already I have to reinstall to fix some phantom OSX bug. :rolleyes:

6. the bug macrumors member

the bug

Have you tried hitting "command-tab" and seeing if you can change the focus ?

Possibly some background app is taking front window when your Mac goes to sleep.
    Otherwise if it's a brand new machine, I know it's a pain, but it might be worth making an appointment at an Apple store.
    Those guys can sometimes surprise you, they may know which corrupt .plist file to delete to fix the problem, although they will never tell you over the phone.

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

----------

This was the real reason I had to chime in on this thread, thank you b.c. , I thought it was just me :eek: !

I've just gotten in the habit now of clicking the mouse before starting to type, but yes since I've been running Mavericks this is the way my system has behaved.

Wasn't sure if it was the new normal or not, I tried troubleshooting it for a while and just gave up, not too hard to click before I type so I've been living with it.

- Jay

7. b.c. macrumors 6502

this is on a 4yr old iMac - it definitely behaves differently in Mavericks than it did for any other version of OS X. Previously I could just hit any key to wake the screen, type the first letter of my username, then type the password.

now, any keystroke will wake the screen, but nothing else typed will select a user or accept as password UNTIL I first click the mouse. Definitely new behaviour with Mavericks, I'm positive of that

will try command-tab next time, but I'm guessing it will still require the mouse click

8. Jeff Flowerday thread starter macrumors regular

Last night, I did an OSX reinstall over my existing install first to see if it will fix the problem. Time will tell.

If it doesn't I'll do a full wipe and reinstall I guess.

9. TonyYYZ macrumors member

Hmm, that's not reassuring to hear. I just got my new Haswell rMBP 13 and updated to 10.9.2 upon first boot before doing anything. I experienced this bug once. I thought my external wired mouse was the issue so I unplugged it and I still could not type my password. I'd click on the input box and the focus would instantly be lost. I put it to sleep then woke it up again and it worked.

Hasn't happened again since. Hope it stays that way.

10. bxs macrumors 6502

When this issue was prevalent on my MBP8,3 (17-inch late 2011) I would sometimes also see the spinning beach ball.

I'm an Apple beta tester and this problem existed for many of the 10.9.2 seed builds for me. However, not too many testers were seeing it as frequently as I was. At first I thought it to be related to sleeping my MBP8,3 through midnight as that ALWAYS triggered the wakeup stall.... but as I posted above, a full re-install using the Recovery HD partition to d/l the OS X from Apple's servers was the solution for me... and that was over 2 weeks ago.

BTW... N.B. this issue was also happening under 10.9.1 for me. The solution was to re-install 10.9.1 via the Recovery HD partition feature.

11. Jeff Flowerday thread starter macrumors regular

Knock on wood.

I think creating a 10.9.2 USB stick and reinstalling over the existing install fixed it for me.

I had to reinstall the JDK after but other than that everything worked as before.

12. Jeff Flowerday thread starter macrumors regular

Just did it to me again, so I guess I'm wiping it and doing a fresh 10.9.2 install.

:mad: :apple:

13. b.c. macrumors 6502

update - this problem persisted on my iMac through all update versions of 10.9.x

however, after updating to Yosemite, the problem no longer occurs