10.9.3 RGB over Thunderbolt fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by brutusfly, Apr 8, 2014.

1. brutusfly macrumors member

Any beta-update testers see an indication that 10.9.3 will fix the gamut bug on some monitors? Wanting a Asus PA279q and a nMP but would rather know that this hack won't be permanently necessary:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1699444

Appreciate your time!

2. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

10.9.3 is a public beta

Anybody with a new Mac Pro or Mini and a Thunderbolt connected display run the new public beta of 10.9.3 yet? Still wondering if the sRGB or aRGB gamuts are appearing correctly on the wide-gamut Dells and Asus without the hack.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

4. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

I'm asking on a site called "MacRumors". A site primarily supported by readers of info leaked despite NDA's.

I don't wish to encourage bad behavior (although, like you, I'm on MacRumors), just wanting to buy a $4000 Mac from Apple.

5. zeiter macrumors 6502

I'm too interested in knowing this...

6. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I wish I could tell you, but black heliocopters might then spirit you (and/or me) away :) brand is correct.

I've been following the same issue. My curiosity was satisfied by downloading the beta and installing it on a spare drive.

7. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

Oh? Um....just how "satisfied" was your curiosity? ;)

8. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

I have a Dell U2412M that has exhibited the detection problem. On my production machine, I have been using the custom override fix for the Dell. OTOH, My NEC monitor, connected the same way, never has had a detection issue. That is because the NEC's EDID only offers one mode, RGB 4:4:4.

To see if it is fixed for your monitor, I suggest you try the beta, or wait for the release :)

9. brand macrumors 601

brand

It is OK to discuss information that is read in leaks elsewhere on the Internet on MacRumors. It is not OK to break NDA and leak the information of this site directly.

10. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

Good info Henry. Unfortunately, I guess I continue with a Mavericks-hacked 2006 Mac Pro until the display driver bug over Thunderbolt is confirmed squashed. You see, I can't try the beta until I actually buy the new hardware, and the funds for doing so won't be available indefinitely. (sigh)

11. brutusfly thread starter macrumors member

Answer:

I just installed 10.9.3, and the good news—it fixes the gamut issue and allows sRGB and Adobe RGB modes on the Asus PA279q and likely many other displays!
    I'm the original poster. I went ahead and ordered the tube Mac Pro and Asus. An amazing combo in almost every way.

I should warn other users of the pink and green ghosting this display sometimes exhibits. A baffling engineering choice by Asus. :confused: There is no way to dial back the overshoot on this display so I am returning it for a Viewsonic or NEC.

12. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

In case others missed it, OS 10.9.3 was officially released today. :D

13. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Yep, 10.9.3 fixed this issue for my Dell U2412M as well. I had been using the custom display override fix.

10.9.3 adds a new folder to /System/Library/Displays/Overrides called DisplayVendorID-10ac, which covers Dell monitors. Apparently they added one for Asus as well.

14. Sylonien macrumors regular

Sylonien

Is it really fixed?!

So did 10.9.3 definitely fix the RGB issue?? :eek:
    Well we're on to 10.9.4 by now, but still :)

This issue has been holding me back for buying the Dell U3014 or the Asus PA279Q.
    If this is fixed, I can finally decide on one and go for it!!