10.9.4 update killed my MBP

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by G0meZ, Jul 3, 2014.

1. G0meZ macrumors regular

so last nite i use sw-update to update from 10.9.3 to .4 on a late 2013 retina mpb.

restart, fans go into overdrive, very slow, hang after 20secs...reboot, same, reboot in safe mode, same
    diskutil - repair permissions, reboot, same
    reinstall 10.9.4. combo, reboot, same

well thanks apple, you've taken yet another dive concerning osx stability... better watch where you heading here

so i get the timemachine out and do a full restore

reboot, system's still very sluggish, fan revving, only apple-sw has access to internet, nothing else works properly

shutdown, pissed off major, leave it over night...

restart in the mornng, all seems working so far
    repaired permissions again, reboot, still ok...

but i lost trust in both maverix and timemachine... will go back to using CCC as my primary cloner... sad day, blew some 6hrs for windows-style ********, stilll on 10.9.3...

three weeks ago a 10.9.2 server basically folded... entire permission defs for network users were gone...
    can't work like this really...

2. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

They are exactly the symptoms that would require a SMC reset.

Turn off the MBP. Connect the MagSafe charger and press the left shift, control and option keys on the built on keyboard while pressing the power button. Release the keys at the same time. Then, press the power button to start your Mac normally.

3. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the hint mate

4. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Did it work?

5. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

IMO you should have both a clone and a time machine backup. For my main computer personally I have 3 time machine drives and 2 clones.

6. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

i've not tried updating again, still on x.9.3...

yeah, i agree, ccc seems still the only reliable bkup...tm is as buggy as the rest of osx newer than snow leopard, especially when it comes to servers.

7. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Sorry to hear about your loss. OS 10.94 has been smooth sailing for me, with no issues on my 2013 Mini i7, 2014 iMac i5 and 2009 MacPro. I wonder if the MBP had some type of preexisting condition?

I actually had an early Mavericks install go south--OS 10.91--and I reverted my Mini back to 10.9 via TM without incident. 10.91 was crawling at the finder and took forever to startup. Was paranoid about updating after that but 10.93/94 have been very polished and stable for me. I've kept a CCC backup for years but haven't needed to use the bkup yet.

8. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

ok, just tried the x.9.4 combo update again ... seems all good this time ...

9. knguyench macrumors member

My Macbook have many issue. I can't shutdown may Macbook pro. Safari is the same issue. How to fix it?

10. G0meZ thread starter macrumors regular

do you have a clone of your system disk? or timemachine?
    if so, i'd use that to restore to 10.9.3 (assuming your problems started with the .4-update)

if not, you may have to reinstall the os, or even wipe and reinstall...and get started using some backup plan...

11. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

It killed mine also.

Had to clone the hard drive to another, and then reinstall Mavericks and use migration tool to bring back the data.