10.9 and Shutdown Timeouts Resolved

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Krazy Bill, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

I recently did a fresh install of Mavrix and have been monitoring the console logs after each Developer Preview. DP’s versions 1-3 all suffered from the same timeout that would bring shutdown to a crawl:

com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication[126]): Exit timeout elapsed (20 seconds). Killing

However, since updating to DP4, this timeout error no longer occurs. Shutdowns have been about 5 seconds with the occasional lengthy one that I haven’t quite figured out. (SSD here). DP5 does the same so it appears not to be a fluke but instead an intentional coding change. No grinding, spinning wheel… just a gray screen for about 5 seconds then I get powered off. This happens regardless of restoring previously opened apps/desktops or simply booting to nothing.

Well, it ain’t Snow Leopard but this is probably as good as it’s going to get folks. I’ll take it because I was convinced this one fell by the wayside forever. Let’s hope it “sticks”. (I believe ML took a wrong turn here at 10.8.2?)

And it might be an illusion on my part but Mavrix seems to boot faster. 4 startup items, 6 full screen apps and another 8 or so on Desktop 1 all get loaded in about 8 seconds from power-up. And my system is fully usable in about 12-15 seconds (Again, SSD here).

And no… we won’t talk about *why* some of us reboot and just don’t sleep our systems. If you have to ask you probably don’t run multiple OS’s so just let it go.

Shutdown Horse: R.I.P.

dead-horse.gif

2. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

if this is true, i will be truly happy.

i restart because once my page outs have exceeded my page ins, something about the system is not optimal anymore, even after purge.

restarting 'cleans' the slate to me.

3. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Restart/Shut-down times are def. better, except for that once-in-a-blue-moon-delay-fit.

However, wake from sleep issues still persist on DP5. I'm running it on my rMBP [ the MBA is still on ML ] and end up with an unwanted reboot every morning because of this problem. Been reported to Apple and hopefully will be addressed in DP6 !

Other than that, 10.9 DP5 is amazing!! :D Good job Apple OS devs!

4. Areos macrumors newbie

Hi, after this issue on wake from sleep and reboot, what are the last messages in log, have you check it? I have this issue too and just want to compare I use a non retina MacBook Pro

Good luck

5. kensic macrumors 6502

man I feel bad for everyone that has the shut down slowness

I never had this problem ever since upgrading to 10.8.3

and now even trying all the 10.9 dp's....still no shut down slowness on my side.

6. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

I have submitted a few bug reports on this, but I am still have shut down issues. On the newest Macbook Air and it can take up to 30 seconds sometimes to shut down.

-I have no apps open
    -unchecked reopen programs

This is the last message from last nights shut down....

8/12/13 9:47:01.147 PM shutdown[317]: SHUTDOWN_TIME: 1376362021 146562

7. ultraspiracle macrumors member

KB - I agree. This is great, and let's keep our fingers crossed that it doesn't come back in the release version! We have both been following and fighting this issue from the very beginning!

On my machine with Mav. DP5, the "occasional" long shutdown was due to hanging com.apple.periodic.daily, weekly and monthly processes in LaunchDaemons. However, these respond very well to a terminal hack timeout of one second.

Everyone, please see this post, for my $0.02 http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1620680