10.9 boot time for brand-new iMac with HDD?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by asiga, Jun 28, 2014.

1. asiga macrumors 6502a

What's the average time I can expect for Mavericks on the current iMac models with HDD (no SDD) ?

I mean, if you go to an Apple Store today and buy an iMac with HDD, what would be a normal boot time? I see some people claim 28 seconds, and others up to 2 minutes... quite a big difference...

2. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

Well, it will depend on how many apps you have set to open and start up and if you have FileVault enabled.

On my old system it took between one minute and one and half minutes to boot. It varies, sometimes drastically depending on what you were doing before (for example, when I worked under load and maxed my RAM, the next start up was often slower.)

3. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Mine takes several minutes. The hard drive is slower than dirt.

4. jpeezy macrumors regular

I recently bought a 21.5" iMac with the 5400 RPM drive and its terribly slow. I've been spoiled by an SSD for the past few years. I went and bought a TB enclosure and threw in a 250GB samsung 840, its SOOOO much better now. I use the internal 1TB as extra storage. I could have BTO'd one with an SSD but Best Buy was having a sale on this model.