10.9 Developer Preview 6 just released

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by 3282868, Aug 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3282868 macrumors 603

No release notes yet on developer site

Attached Files:

2. drew627 macrumors regular

wow thanks so much for the heads up! been waiting for it for days!

3. PazuzuRises macrumors newbie

PazuzuRises

Lmao.. I know... I just took an Adderall to try and focus on fixing what 5 did to my MacBook... E second I do it.. It gets release... Lol, guess ill to read a book or something....

4. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

Adderall works!

5. Chazz08 macrumors 6502

I keep seeing that DP 5 did bad things to everyone's computers, but mine works perfectly fine. I guess I was just lucky. :) Still happy to have DP 6 to hopefully fix the few bugs I had with Safari.

6. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Still no "new tab" toolbar button in finder :/

7. leecbaker macrumors newbie

958 MB download for me. Too bad they haven't figured out real differential updates- I could really appreciate small updates like the Google Chrome people do.

8. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

quicklookd

Is anyone else getting a ton of these?

objc[489]: Class SFUJson is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/OfficeImport.framework/Versions/A/OfficeImport and /Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/MacOS/iWork. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Can I fix it by removing the OfficeImport.Framework?

9. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

There is a option to always show the tab bar, that gives you a new tab button like on safari's tab bar.

----------

Try removing the quick look plugin first.

10. mikecwest macrumors 6502a

mikecwest

Thanks,

I did just that right before reading this....I chose that one because the file date was older.

Is there a reason why that one is better to kill, other than the date?

11. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

Where?

12. iPhonesandMacs macrumors regular

click view in the menu bar.

13. acosmichippo macrumors regular

It *is* a delta update. You think 958MB is the whole OS?

Secondly, comparing OS updates to web browser updates is not exactly apples to apples.

14. Innise macrumors member

Anyone else having a small but kinda big issue with Mail?

Sometimes when I open Mail it has no mailbox marked, so the whole window is blank and I have to manually choose my inbox. Kinda annoying.

15. freedevil macrumors 6502a

freedevil

It's happening often to me. If mail is minimized or closed out and you hit the mail icon, it shows no Inbox until you click it. It's a bug.

16. kensic macrumors 6502

DP5 was bad for me, safari crashed a lot, that slow shut down (haven't had to do deal with it since 8.3 til DP4)

Hopefully DP6 fixes those two issues for me *DP6 is downloading*

17. leecbaker, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2013

leecbaker macrumors newbie

Of course they aren't the same, but at some level they are very similar- a combination of compiled code, configuration files, and image files for the UI.

Their updates obviously contain only changed/updated files, but I don't believe for a minute that it needs to be this big- you don't always need to send the whole files. In the end most of what is shipped are updated binaries and the occasional bit of updated art. I don't believe they are shipping even 500MB of new art with this update, nor do I believe that the code changes necessarily require 500MB of new binaries.

Check this link out to see why I referenced Google Chrome. They have a very efficient way of shipping delta updates to binaries- not all diffing algorithms (and therefore delta updates) are created equal.

There are some situations where the code deltas would end up being rather large- for instance, when major parts of the OS are recompiled to take advantage of new compiler optimizations, bug fixes or protections (this was well documented in Windows XP SP2 for example); however this is a rare case and I think unlikely to be happening this late on in the release cycle, and this often (as several of the other Mavericks DPs were pretty large).

All I'm saying is that I think they can do significantly better.

EDIT: Google chrome courgette link: http://www.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/software-updates-courgette

18. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

What version is iTunes? Does it fix the syncing issues where everything is listed as others and no music gets synced to your iOS devices?

19. Davmeister macrumors 6502

Davmeister

That isn't DP5. Can be fixed by reinstalling iTunes beta.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.