10.9 DP5 requires 7.5 gb to install

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by kensic, Aug 8, 2013.

1. kensic macrumors 6502

wow this is a big update, my 20 gb partition isn't enough :( i sad.

is there anyway to increase more room in my 10.9 partition?

2. Eithanius macrumors 65816

A bare install of Mavericks up to DP5 takes up close to 17GB when dormant (shut off). There are times it goes up to 22GB when active. Fit just nicely for my 30GB allotted partition.

Bloated no....? :p:p So much for under-the-hood performance upgrade. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. ScottishCaptain macrumors 6502a

Debugging symbols and code take up a lot of space. As do language translations, of which they've added quite a few in 10.9.

If you were a developer you'd know this.

-SC

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wonder though if its not all debugging code. I remember how svelte and nimble Tiger was and then came Leopard a beast of an OS. It was larger then its predecessor.

Only time will tell whether the GM will require a lot more space or not.

5. andijames macrumors member

Wasn't leopard both PPC and X86 architecture though? So technically it had double the code base. After SL they trimmed it down to just x86.

6. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

yup that sounds about right at 22gb when active. man I wish I had put 30gb for the partition.

now I gotta back it up...and restore...such a pain

7. Eithanius macrumors 65816

I would recommend 40Gb in case you wanna chuck in respective libraries for iTunes and iPhoto...

8. ResPublica macrumors regular

ResPublica

Install the update from a different partition. You can find the .pkg files in /Library/Updates, if I'm not mistaken.

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

DP5 includes the latest seed for iPhoto 5, which on its own is like a ~700mb update package. I don't know how much bigger once installed.

Not to mention, it also includes iBook, a 100mb file installed.

Considering both will be at the MAS, DP5 will shrink by ~1GB by removing both apps from its installer package.

10. Four oF NINE macrumors 68000

Four oF NINE

11. Eithanius macrumors 65816

That's a lot of size variation for DP5 installer...

I've checked the /Library/Updates folder and found 2 separate installers for DP5:

1. OSX10.9Patch (or however it is named) around 680MB
    2. iPhotoSeed around 1.07GB...

.pkg installers from DP2 to DP5 accounts for around 5GB+

12. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm interesting...currently im on DP4 (w/ 4.5gb left of my 20gb partition)

when I went to the app store. and try to upgrade, it wouldn't let me and says it requires 7.5gb to update to DP5.

thanks for everyone's input but the space requirement isn't the same like everyone is saying.

13. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

This assumes Apple is actually shipping out debug builds these days. Which they haven't for a long time, but this myth still flourishes anyhow.

Sending out debug builds makes no sense in an age of PDBs and dSYM files that can contain the debug information needed. Even better when those files can be archived off somewhere for when you receive crash dumps from that build. Apple receives crash dumps from all their released builds, so they are keeping the dSYM files around for those builds too. And they certainly are not debug builds.

So there is zero point in Apple seeding a debug build. They can deal with crash dumps from retail builds, and there isn't any benefit to providing the debugging symbols to end-developers for seed builds. A seed build is a retail build.

----------

I wonder if the space requirement is really from the installation environment OS X uses. If DP5 is meant to install from the OS installer mechanism, then there is a much bigger space requirement involved. Since a full OS install/upgrade involves unpacking a bootable OS onto the target partition, booting into it, and then applying the new OS onto the partition. DP5, if it is doing this, may be doing an install from the recovery partition, and then applying DP5 to it.

It'd be an easy way to make sure a DP5 install was "clean" (as all upgrades are Archive & Install as of 10.6 or so).

14. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks guys for the suggestions.

so this is what I did.

1)backup my entire 10.9 partition to time machine.
    2)created a new partition with more space this time.
    3)restore my backup from time machine to the newly created partition.
    4)then deleted the old 10.9 partition (1), add this space to the new partition (2) so it has even more space.

pretty painless, now I have plenty of space for all incoming beta versions :)

15. Hiyaimcool1 macrumors member

From DP 1 to DP 6, I've lost a total of 30GB of space! Does anyone think that downgrading back to 10.8 will fix this?