10.9 homemade fusion drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Wignasty07, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Wignasty07 macrumors newbie

Hey there guys, I have had a fusion drive that i made in my mac since the launch of 10.8, can i upgrade to 10.9 without any issues. Has anyone done this yet?

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Yes. Fusion drive uses OS X technologies. Mavericks knows about Fusion Drives.

3. tobenisstinky macrumors newbie

Yes and No

It's not that simple. If you already have a fusion drive that you built manually, and is DOES have a recovery partition, you should be able to just run the installer. If you had to do some funky stuff to get your original install completed, you may have to repeat those steps. In my case I have a fusion drive built with a SSD and a striped RAID, the installer could not create the recovery partition, and therefore the install failed. This could also apparently occur if you have BootCamp installed. Some suggested reading: http://apple.com/support/no-recovery

4. Wignasty07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Backed it up last night and ran the installer, with no issues. Hello Fusion in a macbook pro 13 with 10.9!

5. Mike Boreham macrumors 65816

I am in same situation, it certainly works fine, with no problems, but for me the big question is whether it would be a Good Thing to recreate the FD with 10.9?

CoreStorage and Fusion Drives are young technology. We know there were changes in Fusion Drives created by 10.8.3 and later.

Will a Fusion Drive created by 10.9 have improved algorithms for moving blocks between SSD and HDD for example?

I will probably recreate mine for peace of mind!

Any insights?