10.9/iSync/Local Contacts sync

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by occamsrazor, Apr 10, 2014.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Just told by my work to upgrade from 10.8.5 to 10.9 yesterday. Find out today that Apple have removed both SyncServices/iSync and the ability to do local contacts sync over USB/Wifi via iTunes, thus:
    a) Forcing you to sync contacts over iCloud
    b) Requiring a data connection to sync
    c) Removing the ability to sync with non-Apple devices.
    Gee, thanks Apple.... will be restoring to 10.8.5 backup as soon as possble...
    Yes, there is no question here, just a moan....

2. Ravenis macrumors member

3. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yeah I heard that, thanks - for iTunes local sync at least. But I highly doubt they'll bring back SyncServices, which still leaves my Nokia unsyncable.

I don't get why Apple feels the need to remove useful functionality... iSync was probably the best thing they ever came up with in my opinion...

4. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Well it seems 10.9.3 has indeed brought back iTunes local sync, which is nice (in a "you screwed up taking it away" kind of way).
    But iSync support is still missing, so unfortunately I have to stick with 10.8.5. I still don't understand why they had to take that away...

5. Adamsappel macrumors regular

Local Sync for Notes?

What local sync has been restored?

Contacts?
    Calendar?
    Reminders?
    Notes?

Understanding the problem

6. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

From what I understand...

Contacts? Yes
    Calendar? Yes
    Reminders? No
    Notes? No

7. Slarti.BartFast macrumors newbie

local USB and Wifi sync

Question for somebody running OS X.9.3.

Does the local sync allow USB and Wifi sync, or just USB sync ?

Thanks

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have not tested it, but from the looks of this warning in iTunes, you can do both buy you will get duplicates. I have iCloud sync on in this shot.

[​IMG]

9. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Yes, I had problems with duplicates also. Choose iTunes sync or iCloud sync - one or the other, not both.

10. Roadside macrumors newbie

Recovering Cloudie Now Syncs Locally Again...

Hi, I joined MacRumors to discuss the issue of local sync, since I struggled with it. I'm in OS 10.10 (Yosemite.) I was lured by the siren's song of iCloud and thought I'd try it out. Got nervous about data security (Apple's been making the news a lot recently, regarding security breaches) and decided I wanted to go back to local sync for contacts/calendars. (I don't think local sync is possible for notes; wish it were.)

Long story short: Once you go to iCloud, getting your contacts and calendars "out of the cloud" is difficult--I basically had to "trick" iCloud out of my data. But it can be done, and then you can once again sync your iPhone with your Mac over a USB cable securely. So yes, it is possible to sync locally in Yosemite via iTunes; I'm a recovering "cloudie" and I sync locally again. See:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/27769760

There is also the SyncMate option.

----------

Oh, by the way...while I was going through the process of de-clouding, once I got contacts and calendars local again, I started to experiment with turning on a few cloud apps. I turned Notes back on (in sys prefs>iCloud), with no drama. Works great. But then I turned Reminders back on, and my local (mac) Calendar disappeared before my very eyes. Apparently Reminders wants access to the cloud version of a calendar? Since I had deleted my calendars from the cloud, accessing Reminders called the blank cloud calendar down into my local mac. So I had to restore Calendars all over again. I don't use Reminders at all, now. There may be a way to do it but I decided to stand pat. Never really figured out the advantage to Reminders over a list in Notes, anyway.