10.9 Sleep issue

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by cutter74, Mar 9, 2014.

1. cutter74 macrumors member

Hi all, after upgrading to 10.9, my Mac Mini simply refuses to sleep (unless set manually to sleep from the OS menu).

Wake for network access and Power Nap are both disabled in Energy settings, and File Sharing is also disabled. The output from pmset -g assertions is presented below:

Icarus:~ Nikos$ pmset -g assertions
    3/9/14, 9:40:19 PM GMT+2
    Assertion status system-wide:
    BackgroundTask 1
    PreventDiskIdle 0
    ApplePushServiceTask 0
    UserIsActive 1
    PreventUserIdleDisplaySleep 0
    InteractivePushServiceTask 0
    PreventSystemSleep 0
    ExternalMedia 0
    PreventUserIdleSystemSleep 0
    NetworkClientActive 0
    Listed by owning process:
    pid 80(hidd): [0x0000000a000010ad] 00:03:53 UserIsActive named: "com.apple.iohideventsystem.queue.tickle"
    Timeout will fire in 288 secs Action=TimeoutActionRelease
    pid 11(UserEventAgent): [0x0000000c00000194] 171:35:44 BackgroundTask named: "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.maintenance"
    Kernel Assertions: 0xc=USB,BT-HID
    id=500 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 5:23 PM description=XHC1 owner=AppleUSBXHCI
    id=501 level=255 0x4=USB mod=3/2/14, 5:29 PM description=EHC2 owner=AppleUSBEHCI
    id=504 level=255 0x8=BT-HID mod=1/1/70, 2:00 AM description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=BNBTrackpadDevice
    id=506 level=255 0x8=BT-HID mod=1/1/70, 2:00 AM description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=AppleBluetoothHIDKeyboard
    id=507 level=255 0x8=BT-HID mod=1/1/70, 2:00 AM description=com.apple.driver.IOBluetoothHIDDriver owner=IOBluetoothHIDDriver

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys.

2. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I've been having the same issue. and with the same assertions showing. Never happened before until:

-I got a new external usb drive

-Started using Time Machine on said drive

-Updated to 10.9.2

Not sure which of the 3 changes (or a combination) is the cause.

To narrow down the reason, are any of the 3 applicable to you too? Did it start happening after 10.9.2 or was it also the case in previous versions? Do you use Time Machine? And finally do you have an external hard drive plugged in?

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

In Mavericks, "pmset -g" will give you a simple list of reasons why your machine may not be sleeping, e.g.:

Code:
    sleep                0 (sleep prevented by coreaudiod, UserEventAgent)

And that might be a little easier to deal with than the output of assertions.

A.

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

Thanks, but is there a list of possible cause(s) and solution(s)?

5. adnbek, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

In my case and I'm certain the OP's it's "Usereventagent" and I'm sure the agent in question is "com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.maintenance" caused by the mds_stores process.

And no matter you do, it always resurfaces after a while even after a reboot or a clearing and reindexing of spotlight.

And the thing is, these processes remain "active" preventing sleep despite the fact that no indexing is taking place anymore. No CPU is being consumed either but the power assertion is telling the OS that it's active preventing sleep.

6. Imac Sam macrumors 6502

Imac Sam

Exactly the same thing here as well. :(:confused:

7. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

8. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I've noticed that if I unmount the Windows partition (installed with bootcamp), the problem seems to go away.

Can anybody else confirm if they have Windows installed through bootcamp? And whether unmounting the bootcamp partition makes the problem go away? I'm trying to troubleshoot the problem and want to see if this solves it for others too.

I've also filed a bug report with Apple and am going to update it with this info but need feedback from others too.

9. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I have been having the same issue as others here. The first couple of times. loading m,y drives into the privacy section of spotlight got rid of the isue at least temporarily. Now however, it isn't.

I tried loading my bootcamp drive to see if that would work and com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.maintenance is still running constantly.

10. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Try unmounting it instead. Right-click on the drive in finder and choose "eject", the look in terminal again. Does it go away?

11. pcmxa macrumors regular

pcmxa

I unmounted it and com.apple.metadata.mds_stores.maintenance is still running. I rebooted, re-unmounted and same thing.

12. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Ok, thanks for confirming.

13. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Don't know how it was related the last time but unmounting and remounting the Windows partition temporarily fixed the issue and it was gone for DAYS. Upon a reboot, it's returned and the same "fix" didn't work this time around.

Still have a bug report open with Apple about this. Hopefully this'll be fixed for good in a future update.