10.9 Spotlight always re-index file when cold boot

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by georgegates5, Jan 25, 2014.

1. georgegates5 macrumors newbie

Hey does anyone have a fix to 10.9 : Mavericks spotlight that always re-index whenever i cold boot my macbook pro? Thanks

2. georgegates5 thread starter macrumors newbie

help?

anybody knows or experiencing this issue and knows a fix?

3. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I notice that Spotlight updates its index after booting, but it only seems to take a couple of minutes before it is done. It has been like that for a long time (pre-Mavericks). I re-boot so rarely that I do not pay attention to it any more.

A.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is it doing a full reindex, or just a quick update? A quick update is okay, but a full reindex is definitely not normal.

Try a command-r boot to recovery then use Disk Utility to do a repair disk? Does that show any disk errors?

Try manually reindexing Spotlight with the command below in Terminal and see if that helps.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /

5. georgegates5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a manual reindex with onyx. oh it last a while sometimes less than a minute sometimes at most 5mins but its annoying to have to wait for it to index before anything is usable.

so it normal every time it has to re index at a cold boot start up eventho its for awhile?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

If you don't let the index finish, then, yes.
    When you run that terminal command to reset Spotlight, it should begin to reindex within a few seconds, and take anywhere from 30 minutes to several hours before it finishes. You can tell by the flashing dot in the middle of the spotlight icon. If yours finishes in less than 5 minutes, then it's not completing, and would likely always try again.

Boot to your Recovery partition (restart holding Command-R) then run Disk Utility/Repair Disk. Does that show any errors in the results?

7. georgegates5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey what do you mean by don't let the index finish? ( As i know there isn't any stop or cancel button)

Anyway i think i should restate the main issue , cause i off my mac when I'm not using , so whenever i start up it spotlight does a re -indexing you could call it a "quick index" like Weaselboy says. but the thing is this quick index sometimes will go on for 5 mins which i can't use my Mac for anything. I had Mountain Lion previously and never had suffer this issue.

I have already done the disk repair (repair permission, disk check was ok) and even rebuild index as you guys have suggested but doesn't work ;(

Still re-index every startup so was wondering is this normal?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is definitely not normal. When I say "quick" I am talking about once in a while you will see it take like a few seconds to update the index when starting. Nothing like you are seeing.

What DeltaMac means is when you run that command to reindex, to be sure and let the reindex complete.... and that can a while.

Beyond that and the disk check from recovery, I'm out of ideas. :confused:

9. georgegates5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Weaselboy, so if anyone has any solution please do help ? :( and i think there another issue thats driving me nuts is the random beach ball freeze when i have ample of ram (16gb to be exact)

I think Mountain Lion was way much more stable than Mavericks ;(

10. insane79 macrumors 6502

i also have this weird indexing every time i do a boot on my late 2012 iMac, is there a way to turn this off??

Thanks..