10.9 Updates

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Alkaid, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Alkaid macrumors member

This may be a bit of an oddball question, so I apologize in advance.

When I got my new MBP, it came installed with Mavericks. (which I was quite happy about, as I had thought that there was no way it wouldn't come with Yosemite)

However, it's got 10.9.4 on it, and I know that Mavericks (to my knowledge) is currently at 10.9.5. My question is hopefully a simple one; is there any disadvantage to keeping the unit at 10.9.4 or, in other words, does 10.9.5 break anything significant/have any major issues to warrant not updating the OS?

I appreciate any and all assistance in this matter, so thank you!

2. chrfr macrumors 603

Mostly, you're missing out on bug fixes, and many significant security updates by staying with 10.9.4. You really should update to 10.9.5, and install the subsequent security updates that come after.

3. bigchief macrumors 6502a

Yes I like Mavericks too and I'm staying with it until Yosemite is fixed, probably another 3 to 6 months. My MBP came with 10.9.4 and I update to 10.9.5 with no problem. It's mainly security updates.

4. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

If you do a time machine backup you can always restore if you face any problems.

5. Gochugogi macrumors regular

Gochugogi

Your mileage may vary but 10.9.4 was the most stable version of Mavericks for me, at least on my 2013 Mini i7. 10.95 is okay but is a little flaky with Topaz plugins and Bias Peak (they randomly freeze or suddenly quit). So I kept 10.9.4 on my Mac Pro and it's rock solid with the same apps.

6. Alkaid thread starter macrumors member

Apologies for the late replies everyone.

I made a Time Machine backup late last week and I'll try to see about possibly getting over to 10.9.5 if the computer seems to handle it well enough.

I appreciate all your help and support, I'm glad to hear that Mavericks (overall) seems to be pretty rock-solid!