10.9 upgrade offered on invalid machine by App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simonsi, Jan 28, 2014.

1. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I have a mid 2007 Mac Mini, max OS is Mac OS X 10.7.5 (which it is at). App Store keeps offering me the free upgrade to Mavericks but then (of course), confirms I can't install it when I click on it.

Shame its clever enough to work out it can't install, but not clever enough to work it out before offering it as an update :-(

Any way to remove it from the App store on that machine? Bit depressing for it to sit there into eternity....forever uninstallable :)

2. Bear macrumors G3

No, you can't. Might I suggest providing feedback to Apple about this issue? Make sure you're clear that it's for the Mac App Store. Suggest that maybe Mavericks should come up under the Incompatible App Update section for systems that aren't compatible with Mavericks.

3. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

Shame. Feedback left for Apple. Thanks

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Not an answer I'm afraid, just thought I'd piggyback on this. Got an old Core Duo MBP that's stuck on SL and won't go any further. The Mavericks update stays in the App Store … glaring at me … mocking me …

I've also submitted a bug report. Hopefully Apple'll solve this.

5. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

...mocking....yes good word for it. I'm pretty sure it did disappear for a while, when it came back I fleetingly thought they may have fixed the issue and allowed the upgrade, therefore raising me to new heights....so I could fall further :-(

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Right click / "Hide Update".

7. simonsi thread starter macrumors 601

simonsi

I'll check that, I thought I had tried most key combos to try and get rid of it....

8. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

It worked fine for me (MBP on Mountain Lion, App Store keeping offering me the free upgrade to Mavericks that I do no want to install (already installed onto an external HD)).