10 Day old Mac Virgin - questions...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by francisc, Mar 30, 2008.

1. francisc macrumors newbie

Whow, what a 10 days. been a PC for 20+ years and get confronted immediately by 10.5.2 freezes. Still, I love the MAC and my VMWARE to keep my PC work alive.

Anyway, as a newbie I have some dumb questions.

1. I love the search folders but cannot find a way to add a new field to the finder window. I want to show the size field. I can show the size in a normal finder window. I have setup a search for large files (> 1gb) but cannot see the size !
    2. Is there anyway to get some of the finder windows to remember their size. I have 2 screens 1900 + resolution and the finder windows always seem to start small and I have to stretch them.. Especially when an app opens a finder window when requesting to open a file.
    3. How do I do next word, home and end in text editor like on a PC (ctrl/shift next word etc.,)
    4. why don't shortcuts appear to work for copy paste. I always seem to be using the mouse which can be tiresome if I am at the keyboard. I'm guessing I need the list of equivalents bit google search didn't turn up much.
    5. When I import a file into Imovie does it make a copy. It seems to take a long time to import so i guess it does. Can I delete them after I'm done?
    6. Is there any way to extend the external monitor so that it's another "space' in spaces as opposed to an extension to each space (confusing).

thanks everyone....

2. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

4. use cmd (apple key) instead of ctrl for copy and paste.

3. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

For Finder windows, it should remember your default window size. Try closing all windows, open a new one with cmd-N, set the size, then close it. Sometimes when Finder windows get opened by an app it might not be a "default window" though.

Also cmd-C and V should work for copy and paste.

4. mackindergarten macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the result of a folder search (=smart folder) can be customized.

Yes, open a new Finder window (command-N) resize and close the window again (without doing anything). Next time you open a new window, Finder will use that size.

word jump: alt-left/right
    sentence jump: command-left/right
    page up / down: fn-up/down

the shortcuts on a Mac are command-C (copy) and command-V (paste).
    Basically, everything you did on PC with the control key, is command on a Mac.

Yes, I think the movie clips are stored in a decompressed format inside the .imovie file. To see the file in a .imovie file, control-click it and select Show Package contents. In there in the Media folder you'll find everything you imported (to verify before you delete)

Can't comment on that since I (unfortunately) don't have a dual-monitor setup, but maybe somebody else?

Welcome to the Mac community. Welcome to the light side after 20+ years "over there" :)

/Rupert