10 G ethernet

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by nesss01, Nov 6, 2018.

1. nesss01 macrumors newbie

Is there any reason to get the 10 G ethernet port for routine Home use (web, MS office software, iMovie, Plex, Photos)? I would like this machine to still be my main one 6-7 years from now and am just wondering about internet and LAN speeds at that point.

2. archer75 macrumors 68020

3. frostbit3 macrumors member

No, gigabit should suffice. 10GB networking is really expensive (at least copper which I'm assuming you're referring to since it's the mac mini). It's going to be quite a while until we see >1GBPS home internet, so I wouldn't worry about it.

4. crsh1976 macrumors 6502a

No point for home use, you don't have the connection justifying this anyway, and the extra hardware required to make use of it (other than the mini itself) makes no sense for consumer use - this is strictly for enterprise stacking, using minis as servers/nodes or other pro-grade deployments.

5. F-Train macrumors 65816

I have a different view on this. If you're going to keep the computer for 6-7 years, as you say, it's worth thinking about how close your area may be to very high speed internet.

Also, I think that the cost of running a 10Gb network is going to come down.

If your machine is speced fairly high, I also think that $100 is cheap, bordering on trivial.

6. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

As a home user, I see no need for 10gb ethernet -at this time-.

Perhaps, someday, down the road, it will become a new standard.
    But for my usage, not now.

So, for my next Mac (to be purchased in 2019, will be either 2018 Mini or 2019 iMac), 1gb ethernet will do.

For the desktop Mac I buy in 2026? Who knows?

7. thoang77 macrumors member

Routine home use? No not really.

I did, only because I am considering adding a Synology unit that supports 10gbe in the somewhat near future.

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

We have it as an option here to homes. IIRC it's about $300/mo. Not terrible considering the insane speed.

But the cost adds up for routing and switching gear.

Applications that can fully utilize it... that's on each individual.

9. F-Train macrumors 65816

I bet that when you sit in front of the keyboard and actually make that order, you waver :) "Only $100, how much is it to add later? How big is that adapter?"

10. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

I have a similar question related to OP’s. Can Mini be used as NAS-like file server when it is mainly used as a desktop computer? Would 10gb Ethernet be useful in that regard?

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Probably make a killer video server. Plenty of Thunderbolt ports for storage...
    So with 10gbe network. And high bandwidth external Thunderbolt ports...

But that's an expensive way to do it vs 3.5inch drives, and managing lots of cords and power hookups etc etc.

12. MacWorld78 macrumors 6502

MacWorld78

10GbE networking will only benefit for stacking few Mac mini and working with larges files.

13. partsofspeech macrumors regular

partsofspeech

Thanks. The new Mini looks a versatile and powerful machine. Maybe only after I actually get and run one, I would know how many uses it can serve.

14. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

gigabit internet has been available for a while. I have FiOS and pay 100ish a month for it with phone and tv bundled.

15. frostbit3 macrumors member

Right, gigabit speeds are nothing new as I also have gigabit. But higher than gigabit? I haven't seen anyone offering higher than 1gbps at all personally.

16. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

Comcast has something called gigabit pro that is 2gbps. from what ive heard its expensive and requires a lot of equipment and special installation.
    https://medium.com/@Gtwy/comcasts-2000mbit-fiber-to-the-home-f106d64d5f51

17. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

There is 2Gbps speeds available in my area for that price. But, I doubt the OP would benefit from speeds like that.

Actually, I doubt most people would benefit from speeds a fraction of that. I know that many people over spend for internet speeds that they would hardly or ever use.

This was many years ago, but I remember when a friend of mine was bragging about having 300Mbps speeds offered from FiOS for almost $200 a month.

I asked him what he did with the 300Mbps, which was Netflix and WoW.

There are many people out there just like him that overpay their ISP for services that they really would never use.

18. for this macrumors 6502

I think when 10G ethernet becomes the norm, a Thunderbolt to 10G adapter's price will be equivalent to today's gigabit ones.

19. CurtisBilly macrumors member

Yes, a Mac mini can be used as a NAS-like server. I used to do this with a 2014.

As a NAS-like file server, imagine a 2018 Mac mini with external storage (perhaps thunderbolt 3) with the mini connected via 10GbE to an 802.11ax WiFi router.

Marco’s YouTube review mentioned 15w idle power, which is about double a small NAS, but won’t break the bank on power.

20. jrlcopy macrumors 6502

jrlcopy

I bought the 10GbE option, Synology has a $139 10GbE card that you can buy, and a cable is only $40 bucks. :)

21. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I was going to say the same thing.

22. jameschho macrumors newbie

Not for most users. Those who will use it will probably know they need it. For me 10Gb was a key deciding factor for my mini purchase. I have over 50TB on a file server with 10Gbe and a 10Gbe switch in my home office setup so I'll realize the benifit of 10Gb right away.

Even if you need it in the future I suspect in a few years it will be cheap to add. Sonnet just introduced the solo 10G, a Thunderbolt 3 to 10Gbase-T adapter and it sells for $180. A year ago it would cost $500-$800 to add 10GBe to a Mac. So if you want to save the $100 now and add it in the future when the cost would potentially be even less or the same that's probably a worthwhile strategy.

23. thisismyusername, Nov 6, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018

thisismyusername macrumors 6502

It's generally only useful if you have something else to talk to that's also 10GbE (e.g. a server/NAS) and everything else in the middle (i.e. switch and wiring) also supports 10GbE. I don't know a single person who can make use of 10GbE in their house right now and I know a lot of geeks who basically run mini data centers in their basements (I'm one of them). 10GbE switches are still expensive and most houses are not wired to support those speeds, not to mention the great majority of home users aren't moving data big enough to really take advantage of it.

That said, $100 is cheap to add 10GbE to a computer. I'm shocked Apple's even offering it as an option on the mini. If you really think you'll one day have a 10GbE switch, cat 6+ wiring, a server/NAS/client that also supports 10GbE, and a need to move TBs of data on a routine basis... go for it.

24. nesss01 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone. I decided to stick with 1 GB port.

25. Oculus Mentis macrumors member

Oculus Mentis

I got the 10Gbe option. I’m adding a similar port (found on eBay for $30) on my beefed up HP Microserver Gen8 NAS and configuring it as an iSCSI target.
    With iSCSI the mini sees the remote volume as direct attached storage and I can then deploy both my Lightroom catalog and pictures on the server and connecting to it at USB3.1 equivalent speeds.