10 hour battery huh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dezl, Jul 28, 2010.

1. dezl macrumors newbie

So from what I understand my 2 month old MBP is supposed to have a 10 hour battery which is a stretch! I would say 5 hour battery at best, which is great and im not complaining but 10 hour eh? Is that while the computer is sleeping?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you calibrated it?
    Have a look at Activity Monitor ( Applications / Utilities / ) and select All Processes and sort by CPU to see what the culprit may be.

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]

While the MBP sleeps, it uses 1% of its charge for one hour of sleep, as the RAM needs to be powered during sleep.

Apple on notebook batteries
    Apple Portable: Calibrating your computer's battery for best performance
    Laptop Battery Guide

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. celticpride678

That is with brightness turned down, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth off, and non-intensive computing.

4. Ann P macrumors 68020

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Mine has lasted me 7-8 hours on word editing on Pages and Safari browsing more than one time...

6. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

I get 10 hours, turn bluetooth off, turn the brightness down to half way and surf the web, If i run brightness at the lowest one I get 10 hours even with WiFi on.

7. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

can't get 10 hrs with wifi surfing(no flash) and 50% brightness

8. Dyango macrumors member

I see my girlfriend getting from 8 to 10 hours most of the time. Light usage and no BT should do it. Yet, don't expect 10 hours of photoshop or any task processor intensive, even some torrent applications can have processor spikes, have a look on your Activity Monitor to see if there's something too consuming. If you match every condition to have more than 5 hours then you might want to ask for advice at your nearest Apple Store or APR.

FYI I still get those 5 hrs on my uMB late 2008 with low brightness, safari+mail+adium+tweetie yet I know it would decrease if I ran iTunes, iPhoto, Lightroom or anything a bit consuming.

9. rwdebes macrumors 6502

i have another explanation for that:

its called MARKETING / ADVERTISING .

in no way you get 10 hours of battery , and what you said mean not using the computer at all ! so whats the point ? the real battery life is around 5 hours.
    6 at best.

10. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

turn the brightness down to lowest setting
    I get 10 hours so I'm lying?

11. dezl thread starter macrumors newbie

Calibrate it??? Not sure what to do with that?

When I look at the process monitor, it shows ical and address book running, both of which I don't use. Is there a way to keep them from running until/if I open them?

Everything else are programs that I am currently running.

12. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have read any of the links I provided in the post you quoted?

Have you selected ALL PROCESSES? You can quit the applications you don't want to use, if they bother you.

13. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

It says up to 10 hours. It's a maximum theoretical battery life based on a number of varying factors:

• Screen brightness
    • Bluetooth
    • Airport
    • Running processes
    • Running applications
    • Keyboard backlighting level
    • CD/DVD in the drive, running
    • Connected USB/Firewire drives
    • Connected DisplayPort adapters (as it enables multiple monitor mode)
    • User interaction (what they're doing at the time)
    • Energy Saver preferences
    • Playing audio
    • Battery age in # of charge cycles vs. current battery capacity

In order to consistently get close to 10 hours you would need to:
    • Turn off Airport.
    • Turn off Bluetooth.
    • Drop screen brightness down to one notch above zero.
    • Turn Keyboard backlight down to zero.
    • Disable audio completely.
    • Run no CDs, no DVDs, no optical media. Nothing.
    • Close ALL applications.
    • Terminate all non-system running processes.
    • Degrade to a 5400 RPM drive (should be this unless you upgraded).
    • Disconnect all USB/Firewire devices.
    • Remove all DisplayPort adapters.
    • Optimize Energy Saver prefs.
    • Calibrate the battery.
    • Remove your hands and do NOTHING. Nothing at all.

You will see your time remaining on the battery eek up to 9-10 hours, assuming full or near full charge. Of course, it's a waste of time to do all of that just to get a theoretical maximum...but have at it. Remember, an Altima has a theroetical highway MPG of 31; but that's assuming a 100% perfectly flat stretch of road with no hills, turns or slowdown, at a speed of 75-80 for a duration of 5 minutes or greater.

:)

14. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

13-inch MacBook Pro testing conducted by Apple in March 2010 using preproduction 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo-based MacBook Pro units. 15-inch MacBook Pro testing conducted by Apple in March 2010 using preproduction 2.66GHz Intel Core i7-based MacBook Pro units. 17-inch MacBook Pro testing conducted by Apple in March 2010 using preproduction 2.53GHz Intel Core i5-based MacBook Pro units. Battery life depends on configuration and use. See www.apple.com/batteries for more information. The wireless productivity test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing various websites and editing text in a word processing document with display brightness set to 50%.

15. dezl thread starter macrumors newbie

Gotcha, im going to calibrate it now.

Thanks for the info, and yes I closed the processes that were running that I didn't like :D

16. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

17. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

I still get 8+ hours with regular use. Nearly double that of my last MacBook, and much better than comparable sized/performing Windows machines.

While Apple doesn't always have the latest and greatest in terms of things like processing power or graphics, they usually offer better battery life than most of the competition(look at the iPhone 4 compared to the faster Android handsets). And with a portable device, I'd gladly sacrifice a little performance(which is usually negligible) for more life unplugged.

18. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

I get 10 hrs on mine (Mid 2010 2.4) with screen brightness 4 notches from bottom general surfing with wi-fi. If I hit youtube or any other video site you can half that figure.

19. rwdebes macrumors 6502

yes you are.

20. CaoCao macrumors 6502a

:rolleyes:
    Flash uses lots of energy, kill it
    kill bluetooth
    kill WiFi (use ethernet)
    turn light all the way down (only 1 notch)
    turn iTunes/audio off
    surf the internet or word processing
    when not in use close lid

21. Lunchb0x8 macrumors 6502a

This^

I can get ~11 hours of use out of mine with the right adjustments and light use.

22. TaylorJ macrumors regular

Theres no way you can get 10 hours with browsing. Unless the computer is idle, as soon as I move my mouse I get battery life around 6 hours, then when I open a webpage it goes down to 3. Calibrated and all, 10 hours is way too much of a stretch. Maybe without wifi, but no way you could get 10 hours with wifi.

23. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

Either you're exaggerating, or your battery should be replaced. And take all the other things that influence the battery life into account, as mentioned a few posts up.

24. patrixl macrumors regular

13" or bigger?

If it'S one of the models with the discrete nVidia card, check out gfxCardStatus to see what triggers use of the nVidia card, which is a considerable drain on the battery.

25. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The 13" is the only one that advertises a 10 hour battery I believe.

Like most level headed people here are saying, 10 hour battery is only for marketing purposes. A real world scenario, considering constant usage would be more around the 6-7 hour mark.

Apple's testing conditions are very vague, and several important things are not noted, such as:

Is the screen allowed to dim during testing?
    Are the "web pages" that are being viewed extremely simple html files?
    Are the web pages local files, or are they downloaded from the internet?
    Is the word processor something like pages or word, or is it textedit?

Under normal use, at 50% brightness with wifi on, I get 5-6 hours of battery life during constant use. I can see people getting 10+ hours if they often walk away from the computer or close the lid during the test period, but that's not a valid test of battery life. People talking about battery life are usually concerned with how many constant hours they can use the computer for.

To adopt the fuel economy example, the test would be invalid if the car were turned off while coasting down a large hill, slipstreaming behind a big truck or being towed for part of the journey.