10 hour battery life!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JustOneQuickONe, Feb 28, 2009.

1. JustOneQuickONe macrumors 6502

So my macbook keeps telling me there is 10 hours left before the battery dies and 100% of the battery left. This is not after waking it up or waking the screen up after its been sitting. I have tried restarting my computer and it still does it. Any ideas?

[​IMG]

2. Zyniker macrumors 6502

The percentage and the time never change as the battery is drained?

3. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

5. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

could my battery be going? My comp just went into sleep mode as if the battery died after the battery had been fully charged, i only used the computer for about half an hour. Now it says 38 min till full recharge...
    kind of odd because I haven't noticed a decline in the battery life as of late and i can't believe it went from being fine to this. I used it for 2.5 hours earlier today off the charger

6. gamer2502 macrumors regular

so from what i understand you have unlimited battery life:apple::D

7. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

haha that would be nice...screw the new 8 hour batteries in the new macbook pro, I have unlimited!

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

9. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, the computer is about 2 ears old, it might just be time to get a new battery. Its been plugged in now for about 45 minutes and still won't hold a charge. Does anyone know if university bookstores carry mac batteries? I know ours sells mac computers but if i go back to school and they don't i'm kinda screwed because there is an apple store 5 minutes away from my house but nowhere near my school.

10. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

i just downloaded istat and my battery has 363 cycles but isn't that battery, by apples' standard supposed to hold at least 80% of the initial charge after 300 cycles?

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It looks like you need a new battery... or maybe it's the DC board, who knows.

---

Totally unrelated, but you need to get rid of Norton Antivirus.

12. Zyniker macrumors 6502

Calibrate! If nothing else, it's worth a shot before you bother going to the Apple Store.

13. clawanhex macrumors member

I've had this problem before - my battery reading was just over ~65000 mAH (they ship at ~5000 mAH).

Wotcha needa do is reset the SMC. Instructions here:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411
    It sometimes takes a few tries.

<edit>It's not a battery problem. You don't need a new battery.</edit>

14. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

My thoughts exactly

15. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

haha yeah I don't even know why i have it on my computer, just haven't gotten around to taking it off I guess. I have iAntivirus running instead.

16. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

I will definitely try this before getting a battery, I have a genius bar appointment today so I'm going to see what they have to say as well.

haha yeah I don't even know why i have it on my computer, just haven't gotten around to taking it off I guess. I have iAntivirus running instead.

17. eskalation.dk macrumors member

Mine did that about a week ago, it works fine now! I must admit that i can't really remember what i did to fix it! I think i resetted the PRAM & the NVRAM.. Does your laptop die when you remove the magsafe? Mine did that, the battery was drained.

18. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

it did for awhile, now it just holds about a 30 min charge then dies unless plugged in. How did you reset those?

19. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i actually just came back to give an update to the last person who suggested this, I did if 4 times and the battery is still reading 10 hours 100%.
    Maybe I'm not doing something correctly when doing, although I doubt that since those steps would be pretty hard to screw up... its pretty simple.

edit: I stand corrected, I have not done this, I just took a quick look and it looked like the last page that was linked. I'll try this and report back

20. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

does it matter if the power cord is connected or not?

update: it didn't work, I tried it twice still reads 10hrs 100%. Any other ideas, I really don't want to drop $130 on a new battery.

21. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

<facepalm>

And once you're done uninstalling Norton, you can uninstall iAntivirus as well. :D

22. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

IT'S FOR PIECE OF MIND LEAVE ME ALONE!! :D

but the battery is still acting up, I let it die and sit for awhile, although not as long as the calibration directions say, then plugged it back in and turned it on and now it says its finishing charge, immediately after plugging it in and it being completely drained.

23. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

Fair enough.

On an unrelated note, I've got this bridge over in NY that I've been trying to get rid of.... interested? :p

24. JustOneQuickONe thread starter macrumors 6502

did I miss something haha?

went to the apple store, they said my battery says its okay, its in denial I guess but I they told me I need a new one but did say when I have more time i can get my top cover replaced because of the cracking defect. They suggested I check amazon and my university bookstore to see if I can get a battery cheaper so I don't think they were just trying to get my money.