10 Image Composite of Skyline @ Twilight

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Eaton Photos, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Eaton Photos macrumors regular

Though, I do not post very often, I thought I would share this Panoramic, I shot last week.

[​IMG]

Exif is intact.

Pano is comprised of 10 Images, shot vertically, with my 5D Mark II & 70-200/2.8 IS. Stitching & Editing was done in PS CS5.

Here is a larger image: http://www.eatonphotos.com/img/s9/v15/p290399663-6.jpg

Regards,

2. atmenterprises macrumors regular

3. theNEOone macrumors 6502

Great shot. How do you do this, btw? Do you stand in a single spot and rotate the camera around to take several shots, or do you walk along the length of your composition so you take multiple shots from multiple locations?

=|

4. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I composed the Image, using my Ball-head & Tripod, and staying in once place. Then I pre-focused on I-64. Since I-64 runs across the front of city, parallel to the river, I used I-64 as my center line horizon. By using the Interstate to keep my Horizon level, I was able to keep both Horizontal & Verticals even. I shot Manual, used a Cable Release + 10 Second Timer, and kept every exposure to about 20-30 seconds. Hope that more or less answers your question.

5. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

6. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

we need a BOOKWORTHY smiley for this, great job.

That's a postcard for sure.
    (and Mod's I'm glad we get by with larger than 800pix here, this one deserves widest possible)

7. rk1228 macrumors member

Great photo! One of the best I've seen of our city, and very nice to have the new Yum Center in the shots.

8. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

9. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

I'm guessing you know Louisville, or just happen to know the skyline. :cool:

Thank you for the feedback. Its definitely a wall hanger, and may very well be used on postcards. :D I wasn't sure if there was a Pixel restriction, so I posted a size, just above 800, and linked the largest size, I have open to everyone.

Thank you. The lighting just happened to work out perfectly, between the Ambient & Building Lights. I will go back & re-shoot once the Yum Center is lit up. Its also nice, to not have 4 Tower Cranes around the Arena site.

Thank you. All I had to do was capture the Images my eyes were seeing. CS5 did an awesome job with the Stitching. :)

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Nice!

Great job with this! I'm guessing that this was one of those moments in photography where you captured the scene in all its real-life glory?

It looks fantastic, and I am super impressed with CS5's pano stitching considering you were kind of shooting from the hip in regards to exposure!

I would like to see more of your stuff around here!

11. Hitrate macrumors regular

Hitrate

12. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Wow, I love it.
    Congrats on a stunning image.

13. apple-ette macrumors member

Really awesome.

I too am expressed with the stitching.

14. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Perhaps ;)

Your pano (and other shots of similar quality) should replace all of the crappy prints they have hanging in the airport.

Yeah, it does a better job than CS4.

15. bam bam macrumors newbie

I can't see the EXIF data....can anyone post it....(Aperture, ISO, shutter, focal length, metering, etc)

16. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. Yes, this is how Louisville appears to anyone that see's the city, when viewed from the Indiana side. There is no enhancement to the color tones.

I am very impressed with CS5's stitching capability, compared to CS3's. And it did a marvelous job, with blending each of the images, as from left to right, the exposure time decreased, as I gained more ambient light.

I will post some more work soon.

Thank you. What does 1920 worthy mean? I'm not familiar with the reference you are using.

17. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. I'm selling prints, if your interested. ;) It took several hours of work, to bring out all the details, but the resulting image has become one of my Best pieces of work, & the feedback has been tremendous.

Do you mean impressed, not expressed? Feedback is appreciated.

That is a great idea, unfortunately at this time, I have no clue whom to contact about making that idea become a reality. I will do some research and see if I can find someone to talk to.

18. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

The Exif is not 100% accurate, since it is a blended image, but I am more than willing to share all the details regarding my settings.

Gear:
    Camera: 5D Mark II
    Lens: 70-200 2.8 IS
    Sticks: Gitzo GT3541XLS
    Head: Markins M20

Settings:

Did not use MLU, instead used a Cable Release + 10 Second Timer.

Aperture: F/11 (for every Image)
    ISO: 100
    FL: 200mm
    Mode: Manual
    Metering: Center-Weighted
    S/S: Varies from Image to Image. Min. was 15 Seconds, Max. was 30 Seconds.

Shot Raw, converted each 25MB CR2 File, into a 16 Bit/ 125MB Tiff File, via ACR.

Does this answer your question? If you have any others', please ask.

Regards,

19. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

I'll add my name to those who have responded- A beautiful piece of work! I look forward to seeing more. This looks like a good endorsement for CS5. They should give you some kick back!!:)

20. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I had to create a panorama of the Dallas skyline for a previous job, so I appreciate your hard work. You have FAR better camera equipment than I was able to use and the results sure reflect that. And that I'm a talentless hack. :D

GREAT JOB!

-Aaron-

21. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

22. Renderz macrumors 6502

I just thought I'd chip in. Very nice picture. I hope you have plans to print it out and hang it in your home. It would be stunning on a mount.

23. Eaton Photos thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you. By all means, I will take any plugs possible. Who knows, Adobe might listen to your recommendation. :cool:

Aaron,

Thank you for the feedback. Having seen Pano's of Dallas, I would imagine it is a rather difficult task to properly frame the Skyline, due to the Lack of Elevation/ Unobstructed fields of view. If you are able to share it, how about sharing it in the thread, so we can see your Skyline too.

Regarding Equipment, that is only a small part of the equation. I have shot the Skyline, with just about every body I have owned, but this is only the second time I have done a composite.