10% in 10 minutes: Is iOS 5 really that hungry?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iAppleseed, May 23, 2012.

1. iAppleseed macrumors regular

So there I was, listening to music with my bluetooth headphones, while surfing on the net with my unlimited data with the screen brightness set to high on my iPhone 3GS. I was surprised to see 10% go by after 10 minutes. Am I the only one?

Oh, the funny thing is, for the last 10%, I found my iPhone mysteriously shutting down. I opened it again, then it shuts down after 5 seconds.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Surprise! Your battery actually does drain when you use your phone. Especially on the iPhone 3GS due to its age. Oh, and that last ten percent and then shutting down "mysteriously" is your battery not being calibrated properly.

3. cynics macrumors G3

IOS 5 will be a bit more power hungry then previous iOS's. How old is the phone? Since its a 3GS it probably doesn't have the capacity it once did when it was new.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You were using Bluetooth, surfing the web and had the brightness turned up high, all at the same time, and you're surprised that your battery went down quickly? I don't think it's iOS5 that's the culprit here. All three of those tasks can be pretty battery intensive, so yes, you'll use up your battery relatively quickly that way. Especially if it's an older phone that's been used a lot. Batteries lose the ability to hold a charge as time goes on.

5. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

It's not supposed to drain the battery that fast. You should restore your phone in iTunes just to be sure.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Agreed. I can certainly listen to music and surf the web for more than 100 minutes. I'm a bit confused by all the "get over it" posts in here.

7. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

Nah. It took me a long time to install Siri on this thing. I also have a ton of jailbreak stuff on this thing. Probably should get a new battery.

8. zephonic macrumors 65816

zephonic

+1

9. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

No its not. wipe your phone and install fresh, and if that doesn't fix it, return it.

I get 2 days out of the most recent iOS easily.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

And voila.....

I think we have an explanation of why your phone is operating differently than a standard phone... :rolleyes:

Remove the stuff that isn't supposed to be there and I imagine its drain would be normalized, or choose to keep the stuff and put up with the additional drain.

Your choice......

11. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

With the music over bluetooth?

With the internet over a cellular network?

There are a lot of unknowns here:

Poor cell signal?
    Did the web pages have many images? SVG? Canvas?
    High bit rate audio?
    Was the audio being streamed?

10% does not sound too unreasonable given what the OP has described.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I think

clears up the unknown.

The OP's device is clearly running more processes in the background than a standard iPhone.

Now I'm no Steven Hawkins, but you don't need to be able to understand blackholes to concede that the explanation lay's more at the OP's own actions/tampering than the phones ;)

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I guess you'll just have to get over it. :D (kidding!)

14. theLimit macrumors 6502a

theLimit

I've found signal issues to be a real battery killer. Before I moved, I had 4-5 bars of signal all day and my iPhone 4 battery lasted well into a third day. Where I live now, I get 0-2 bars of signal walking around the house and my battery rarely makes it through the day.

15. takeshi74 macrumors 601

IOS5 isn't the issue. The battery isn't the issue. Unrealistic expectation is.

It's like leadfooting your car and complaining that you're getting fewer MPG's. You don't get something for nothing.

16. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

Poor cell signal, yes.
    The webpages were Macrumors and 9to5Mac. Of course they were graphic intense. Audio was ALAC (1000KBPS), freshly ripped from my collection of CDs, and my vinyls (3000 KBPS!). Audio is not streamed, just stored on my phone.

17. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Poorly this was either a failed attempt at sarcasm or a failed troll.

18. Spectrum Abuser, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012

Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

Here I was thinking that I was living the high life in terms of music quality with 224Kbps.

19. iAppleseed thread starter macrumors regular

That's not even lossless