10" Kindle Fire

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Looks like it's coming.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/08/amazons-10-inch-kindle-fire-caught-sailing-through-fcc-certification/

One would hope they'd make some hardware and user interface changes. I found the 7" lacking as a real alternative to the iPad, but then again I found the iPad lacking as a real alternative to a serious work tool. To each their own.
Makes no difference. When people realized that the Kindle Fire was nothing more than a glorified e-reader and a gateway to Amazons home shopping network that required rooting to really do anything, it fizzled quickly. Only about 2 million have sold this year, and the projected number for q3 has been cut due to the Nex7's success. People won't be so quick to buy a Kindle Fire the second time around. This will also be a loss leader platform.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
When you get to that size, you're competing directly against the iPad and to be honest, I don't think there's enough to drive people to a 10" kindle over the iPad.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I will be saving up for one, but if that 7" iPad comes around, I'm just buying that instead. I like my Kindle Fire, but I would get more out of an iPad that would replace the KF I keep in my pocket.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
That's my goal, if apple does not release the iPad mini (or what ever they'll call it). I'll pick up a Nexus 7 instead. Commuting with a 7" tablet is so much better then a 10" tablet.
I love my Nex7. I unlocked and rooted it within the first week. I thought I would miss the ipad size, but the 7 is literally like holding an iPad cut in half. I have found my perfect tablet size. It just needs an expandable memory card slot! And a replaceable battery would be nice. :D

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I love my Nex7. I unlocked and rooted it within the first week. I thought I would miss the ipad size, but the 7 is literally like holding an iPad cut in half. I have found my perfect tablet size. It just needs an expandable memory card slot! And a replaceable battery would be nice. :D
The back of the nexus 7 is actually very easy to take off. Its almost like a battery door on an HTC phone. The battery is also easy to remove once you take the back off. Its not soldered or anything. Just connected with a cable.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
I'm sure it is not going to be half the price of an iPad! A 7" KF already cost $199 so that is half of an iPad 2!
I was kind of referring to the current gen iPad.

Either way, if you compare the price to the iPad2 I reckon it will be $100-$150 cheaper.

To us tech geeks that might not be a deciding factor but to your average consumer it will certainly be a factor.