Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Howdy everyone

I have a really annoying problem. I can bootup fine no problems, however after I click on my profile picture and login, it will randomly hang on a grey screen for about 10 minutes, before successfully finishing the login process.

No idea what causes it but it's happening a few times a week. Seems to also be correlated with another wake/clamshell/thunderbolt issue.

I'm technical and would love to know if there is a good strategy for troubleshooting these sort of issues.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Do you have anything in your Login Items under Users & Groups in the System Pref panel that might be slowing things down?

Try a safe mode boot my holding the shift key after the chime. That stops any login items from running and will help you troubleshoot. If the problem goes away with a safe boot start removing items half at a time from the login items until you find the culprit.

canhaz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2012
Do you have anything in your Login Items under Users & Groups in the System Pref panel that might be slowing things down?

Thanks, I have a whole bunch of login items (Chrome Sync, Dropbox, Divvy, PasteBot etc). But... (see below)

Try a safe mode boot my holding the shift key after the chime. That stops any login items from running and will help you troubleshoot. If the problem goes away with a safe boot start removing items half at a time from the login items until you find the culprit.

Safe mode causes the same issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.